100% HDD active time, but 0 (or very high) response time and 0 kb/s read/write

SharkTopus86

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
My hard-drive is have big-time issues.
Firstly, my PC (built myself) has a SSD (C: ) for OS and commonly used/important software and a HDD (D: ) for mass storage and other software (i.e. large, rarely played games etc).
I'll list PC specs and a few more details at the bottom.

TL;DR: HDD won't read or write more than a few kBs, and seemingly corrupts files. I've tried many things, one file failed to read after a few attempts of reading. I'm out of ideas and somewhat worried.

First a program crashed when I tried to save a file (Arduino IDE), then windows task manager crashed. Long story short: After many hard-resets, booting without the HDD, connecting the HDD to different SATA-ports, I was finally able to reinstall windows (still at SDD (C: )) and make the system function (except for the HDD).

After the clean-install I was able to run a few setup.exe files (downloaded by default to D: before crash) and install Kung Fury: Street Rage (Very small game, and fun, but I digress).

Then the problem came back.
I did the same as the person in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2898046/100-disk-utilization-kbps-read-write.html
As for the solutions, my motherboard is quite new (bought in january, along with the rest of the PC-parts). I've also tried swapping cable; no effect.

After a while, disk-usage goes down to 0%, but after invocation it goes to 100% and has a few spikes of a few kB/s read/write and then slows down.

After this I was able to get 3/4 very small (1-4 kB), but the last file was first 'not found' after a few secounds, then not readable. Not wanting to mess up the drive further, I've disconnected it from both power and signal.

Question is: What can I do next, and how (if possible) can I get the data off it?
I'm also wondering if the best solution is to try to return it to the store (warranty), and either get a new one or my money back.
Any help, advise or sympathy appreciated.

Technical HW-info:
Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XZGmWX
Troubled HDD: Toshiba HDWD120 2TB, bought jan. 2017, less than 10% storage space used (don't remember exact figure).

SharkTopus86

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
For anyone googling this issue in the future: It was dead-on-arrival (manufacturing-fault, doomed to die if you will). Returned it to the store, getting a new one now.