Why Does my RX 480 only crash on First (Top) pcie slot?

matty956

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
hi everyone so im still having a issue with my rx 480, every time i try install into the top pcie lane on my z97 sabertooth it causes system crashes? green pinky looking images that require a hard reboot. yet when i revert back to my old R9 290 it runs fine? so i know the lane definitely isn't damaged it runs flawlessly. so heres where it gets interesting the rx 480 runs fine in the top slot while im running either windows 7 or 8 but fails everytime with windows 10? even while not under load it crashes. my motherboard is updated to its latest bios version. id really like to try get this sorted as i can only run at x8 speeds at the moment i know the performance difference is only going to be minimal but still its very annoying :(

matty956

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
thanks for help burtman, ive tried every available driver but only ones since the Powerdraw patch. always used DDU before reinstalling them, the card works fine also in the second slot down, but only at x8, and increasing any voltage in AB while using the primary slot makes no difference sadly :(

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
well i doubt this maybe it, but what Power supply do you have? It's possible that windows 10 is some how using your video cards full potential thus your PSU cant keep up and is having issue. Which maybe why it works in 8x spot and in the 8x spot its not using its full power. Again maybe a long shot,but it's possible. I have the same power supply you have it should be able to handle it fine though so idk.

matty956

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
cheers burtman if your referring to the corsair cx750m in my sig, i upgraded that a while ago to a bequiet powerzone 1000w, i used this Power Supply to run crossfire 290s and it worked fine, the corsair was also a great psu, just not for crossfire it should handle a 480 just fine.

TRENDING THREADS