Why my i5 6400 is bottlenecking my GTX 1070 so much?

mamomi12

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Hi,i wanna ask you why my freaking CPU is always at 100% ... In most games. For example i just purchasted battlefield 1 and i put everything on ultra and my CPU is staying at 100% load... While the GPU is at 40-50% and the game is running at 40-60fps ... After that i put the settings on medium and i got the same result ... Can someone tell me why this is happening ... Isn't the I5 powerful enough to support GTX 1070 ?

Solution

that is actually a good idea

you are cpu limited at the lower resolution

and yes a 1070 requires at least a overclocked i5 to fully spread its wings at 1080p

Kavinqt

Distinguished
i5-6400 is a quad core with no hyperthreading, a lot of games nowadays can make use of hyperthreading, But even my old i5-6600k @ 4.8ghz with my 1070 would sit at 100% usage while gaming, Just because its at max usage doesn't mean it isn't doing the job though, it just means there is no headroom for anything else really. But I would say non overclocked i5 chips are going to bottleneck higher end GPU's nowadays, Not by a lot but there is a bit there.

mamomi12

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Thank you... But the problem is that i see my CPU at 100% in basically every game :Forza Horizon 3,Watch dogs 2,Project Cars,Rise of the tomb Raider and all of them are running well... but on 1080p with GPU like the GTX 1070 i expect much higher performance ...

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Nah i5's don't have much headroom for games like that nowadays, plus you are probably running windows 10 + other programs while playing which is using a bit of your CPU also. I couldn't stand an i5 for much longer when I was using my 6600k as I couldn't use my web browser or discord etc while gaming. So I upgraded to an i7. Now that may not be an option so you will probably have to stick with the 100% usage there really is nothing you can do about it, it's just how the CPU is. But I can say that you are not losing much performance at all.

mamomi12

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

Do you think if i buy something like i7 or one of the new 6 core amd CPU's i'm gonna get my GTX running at atleast 90% ?

It's not an issue if your CPU is at 100%. If your framerates are uncapped, your CPU will always be at 100% (contingent upon graphical settings), because it will deliver as many frames as your CPU is capable of.

More importantly, are these games not smooth enough?

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Some games don't allow your GPU usage to 100% Like h1z1, some games are shit coded and have very big flaws. H1z1 being one of them even on an i7-6700k h1z1 doesn't use 50% of my GPU but I still get 200+ frames in town on ultra so Yeah, But I would say on certain games with a i7 or Ryzen you should be getting a decent amount more frames. I wouldn't recommend going with Ryzen if you already have an intel motherboard that can work with skylake and kabylake.

mamomi12

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

Well they are mostly running on ultra with 60FPS + but there are some drops to 45-50Fps sometimes... Maybe i had too high expectation of my rig ... And i wanted to purchase a 1440p monitor ... Not a good idea maybe...

He's saying his 1070 isn't running at full capacity, resulting in below 60fps in BF1. My i7-4790K (@ stock) + GTX 1060 6GB doesn't drop below 60fps in BF1 (Ultra 1080p) and GPU usage stays at 99%, so I would say yes a Skylake or Kaby Lake i7 would fix your issue.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

that is actually a good idea

you are cpu limited at the lower resolution

and yes a 1070 requires at least a overclocked i5 to fully spread its wings at 1080p

Solution