Solved

Do you have to plug in a Graphics Card in order for the computer to power up?

I have been building a computer for a couple months now and have all the parts except the Graphics Card and SSD. I have connected my power supply connectors to all the proper ports and have tried to power it up. I have a older graphics card in as a replacement in case I need a graphics card in order for the computer to power up. I tried powering it up and nothing happens no power no nothing. I was wondering do you have to connect the PCI-E connectors from the PSU to the graphics card for it to start up? If you know the answer let me know and thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about plug graphics card order computer power
  1. Best answer
    if the card is installed, then it needs all the power hooked up to run. this can stop the pc from starting up.

    if the cpu has built in graphics, then you can take it out and simply use the mobo outputs to get the video to the monitor. it'll work fine like that until you have a new gpu to install. but to use the old card, it does need all it's power hooked up. to be sure that is it, take out the gpu and start it up without it. it should start up with only the cpu and ram installed, though you'll only get as far as the bios screen this way with no hdd to boot from
  2. Math Geek said:
    if the card is installed, then it needs all the power hooked up to run. this can stop the pc from starting up.

    if the cpu has built in graphics, then you can take it out and simply use the mobo outputs to get the video to the monitor. it'll work fine like that until you have a new gpu to install. but to use the old card, it does need all it's power hooked up. to be sure that is it, take out the gpu and start it up without it. it should start up with only the cpu and ram installed, though you'll only get as far as the bios screen this way with no hdd to boot from


    HOLY CRAP IT WORKS! Thank you SO much!
  3. no problem. did you plug in the power to the card or simply use the cpu's built in video?? just curious which way you decided to go
  4. Math Geek said:
    no problem. did you plug in the power to the card or simply use the cpu's built in video?? just curious which way you decided to go


    I decided to just take out the old graphics card and use the HDMI port on the motherboard. I am going to plug in the power to the new card I am getting soon. But for now I just wanted to see if I could get it to start up.
  5. thanks. just extra info for anyone else who may find this thread with a similar question. glad you got it working :)
  6. Math Geek said:
    thanks. just extra info for anyone else who may find this thread with a similar question. glad you got it working :)


    No thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Up Computers Graphics Cards