Solved

First gaming build

What do you guys think of this build ?
My budget is pretty tight so this is the max price I can go for.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/c/ref=mw_crt
Reply to Zett_jukassa
43 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming build
  1. Wrong link
    Reply to DRagor
  2. Reply to Zett_jukassa
  3. In any case here are the specs.
    I5 7400 @ 3.00 GHz
    MSI Rx 480 gaming X
    Hyper 212 Evo
    8gb ddr4 corsair Vengeance
    MSI pro h110 pro D mobo
    Enermax 450w PSU
    WD 1tb Hdd
    Drevo X1 120gb SSD
    Zalman Z1 neo

    All that for 760€ and not a penny more because that's my budget.

    Your thoughts ? I'm gaming at 1080p, mostly on AAA titles and RPGs
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  4. One IMPORTANT thing: to run i5-7400 with h110 mobo, you need to upgrade BIOS first. Which you CAN'T do yourself unless you have a spare SkyLake CPU. Some shops seeling mobos offer BIOS upgrading service, check if yours does and make sure you have it done or you run into trouble.
    Can't tell anything about PSU without more details.
    Not sure about SSD either. Maybe stick just to HDD for now and buy decent SSD later.
    Reply to DRagor
  5. DRagor said:
    One IMPORTANT thing: to run i5-7400 with h110 mobo, you need to upgrade BIOS first. Which you CAN'T do yourself unless you have a spare SkyLake CPU. Some shops seeling mobos offer BIOS upgrading service, check if yours does and make sure you have it done or you run into trouble.
    Can't tell anything about PSU without more details.
    Not sure about SSD either. Maybe stick just to HDD for now and buy decent SSD later.


    Ok I'll just get a 6500 then. Same performance. The power supply is a enermax 450w. As for the storage I'd rather buy the SSD at the start since I plan on installing the OS on it. Besides the SSD gets great reviews so...
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  6. This should be good...

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€214.99 @ Amazon France)
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€59.99 @ Amazon France)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€72.99 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€59.02 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€51.39 @ Amazon France)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card (€209.90 @ Amazon France)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case (€34.96 @ Amazon France)
    Power Supply: XFX XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€55.44 @ Amazon France)
    Total: €758.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-17 21:33 CET+0100
    Reply to Hellfire13
  7. You know, there are Tier 1 to Tier 3 Enermax PSUs. Tho even if you get Tier 3 it's still not bad.
    Does not 6500 cost more? Like ~20 euro? Though getting mobo that supports 7400 out of the box would cost you more then 20 ...
    If you like that SSD, go for it.
    Reply to DRagor
  8. Hellfire13 said:
    This should be good...

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€214.99 @ Amazon France)
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€59.99 @ Amazon France)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€72.99 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€59.02 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€51.39 @ Amazon France)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card (€209.90 @ Amazon France)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case (€34.96 @ Amazon France)
    Power Supply: XFX XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€55.44 @ Amazon France)
    Total: €758.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-17 21:33 CET+0100


    Thanks. I'll go with an i5 6400 instead and upgrade to a 8gb rx480. Also I'll put a single stick of DDR4 ram to leave an upgrade path since the Mobo only has 2 slots.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  9. I like Hellfire's build, it's a lot better.
    Reply to lakimens
  10. The 6500 is a better chip than 6400. Why go for 6400???
    Also one stick is not recommended on a dual channel board. Dual channel should be faster and one stick can still boot the pc if one fails.
    Reply to Hellfire13
  11. He had 7400.
    Reply to lakimens
  12. lakimens said:
    He had 7400.


    Yes and the 6400 costs 20€ less than the 6500.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  13. Ok. I'll go for 2 ram sticks and an 8gb Rx 480. For CPU the 6400 should perform enough for me as I'm not editing and only gaming.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  14. For gaming, 6500 is highly recommended for the extra juice as some high octane games like BF1 and GTA5 might struggle a bit with 6400. It will also last you longer in terms of gaming support as well. Rest is your discretion. Good luck with that.
    Reply to Hellfire13
  15. I didn't see the post above.
    Hellfire's right though, the 6500 is a lot better .5Ghz improvement over the 6400, it shows in some situations.
    DDR- Double Data Rate, Dual Channel is twice as fast as single channel. It most likely won't show in games, but if you're doing some other stuff on it, it might show. I have 1 stick of 8GB in my system for the same reason.
    However, if you want to upgrade, there is no guarantee that the two sticks you bought separately will cooperate.
    Reply to lakimens
  16. Hellfire13 said:
    For gaming, 6500 is highly recommended for the extra juice as some high octane games like BF1 and GTA5 might struggle a bit with 6400. It will also last you longer in terms of gaming support as well. Rest is your discretion. Good luck with that.


    Ok here's what I've come up with:
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/c/ref=mw_dp_buy_crt
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  17. Your link doesnt work. But if you follow my list, you should be good.
    Reply to Hellfire13
  18. Hellfire13 said:
    Your link doesnt work. But if you follow my list, you should be good.


    Yeah I dunno why it isn't working... But basically I just went with Rx 480 8gb, i5 6500 and a single 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram module since dual channel doesn't benefit most games that rely heavily on GPU.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  19. Zett_jukassa said:
    Hellfire13 said:
    Your link doesnt work. But if you follow my list, you should be good.


    Yeah I dunno why it isn't working... But basically I just went with Rx 480 8gb, i5 6500 and a single 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram module since dual channel doesn't benefit most games that rely heavily on GPU.


    And who told you that???
    Reply to Hellfire13
  20. Hellfire13 said:
    Zett_jukassa said:
    Hellfire13 said:
    Your link doesnt work. But if you follow my list, you should be good.


    Yeah I dunno why it isn't working... But basically I just went with Rx 480 8gb, i5 6500 and a single 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram module since dual channel doesn't benefit most games that rely heavily on GPU.


    And who told you that???


    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/does-dual-channel-memory-make-difference-in-gaming-performance/6/
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  21. @Hellfire, it's true, don't argue it.
    Reply to lakimens
  22. lakimens said:
    @Hellfire, it's true, don't argue it.


    Good I'm not crazy.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  23. I like the locked I5 chips but not the lowest one as it looses too much MHz for so little cost savings, I5-6500 over I5-6400 any day.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-8XG6uhK4
    Reply to kraelic
  24. Well, I would even say 7400 over 6500 any day :) Alas, the BIOS problem ...
    Reply to DRagor
  25. Hellfire13 said:


    No substantial difference. Precisely. Single stick is cheaper.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  26. Single chip might be cheaper but slower than dual chip. Also if it fails you have no option to boot or diagnose.
    Reply to Hellfire13
  27. DRagor said:
    Well, I would even say 7400 over 6500 any day :) Alas, the BIOS problem ...


    Yeah that's why. But it's not like I'll notice the difference in performance I'm coming from an GeForce 840m laptop so... Lol
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  28. Hellfire13 said:
    Single chip might be cheaper but slower than dual chip. Also if it fails you have no option to boot or diagnose.


    I'll see when the time comes if I buy dual chips, if I can scrape up a few bucks. If not, well single chip here I come.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  29. Zett_jukassa said:
    DRagor said:
    Well, I would even say 7400 over 6500 any day :) Alas, the BIOS problem ...


    Yeah that's why. But it's not like I'll notice the difference in performance I'm coming from an GeForce 840m laptop so... Lol


    I dont see any logic in that.
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/3886vs3513
    Reply to Hellfire13
  30. DRagor said:
    Well, I would even say 7400 over 6500 any day :) Alas, the BIOS problem ...


    I'm coming from a laptop with a GeForce 840m that can't run most games. I think I'll be satisfied with the 6500's performance...
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  31. Hellfire13 said:
    Zett_jukassa said:
    DRagor said:
    Well, I would even say 7400 over 6500 any day :) Alas, the BIOS problem ...


    Yeah that's why. But it's not like I'll notice the difference in performance I'm coming from an GeForce 840m laptop so... Lol


    I dont see any logic in that.
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/3886vs3513


    It means I will be satisfied as long as it runs well and smooth. The 6500 can do that.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  32. Zett_jukassa said:
    DRagor said:
    Well, I would even say 7400 over 6500 any day :) Alas, the BIOS problem ...


    I'm coming from a laptop with a GeForce 840m that can't run most games. I think I'll be satisfied with the 6500's performance...



    What i meant is, there is no point choosing 7400 over 6500. Rather if anything matters, then the base clock is faster for 6500 which will benefit games more.
    Reply to Hellfire13
  33. Hellfire13 said:
    Zett_jukassa said:
    DRagor said:
    Well, I would even say 7400 over 6500 any day :) Alas, the BIOS problem ...


    I'm coming from a laptop with a GeForce 840m that can't run most games. I think I'll be satisfied with the 6500's performance...



    What i meant is, there is no point choosing 7400 over 6500. Rather if anything matters, then the base clock is faster for 6500 which will benefit games more.


    Lol I only got that once I had posted the answer sorry. And I agree with you every benchmark shows the 6500 being stronger in games.
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  34. ^^ Ditto :)
    Reply to Hellfire13
  35. 6500 might get slightly better results (tho I've seen tests where 7400 is even with 6500) , but when you compare prices, 7400 is clear winner.
    Anyway, for me 7500 IS the true king :)
    Reply to DRagor
  36. Hellfire13 said:
    ^^ Ditto :)


    DRagor said:
    6500 might get slightly better results (tho I've seen tests where 7400 is even with 6500) , but when you compare prices, 7400 is clear winner.
    Anyway, for me 7500 IS the true king :)


    Yeah just with my Mobo it would cost me more time and money to update the BIOS
    So I prefer going with a 6500
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  37. 7500 is definitely a bit better. Around 5% to 10% gain over 6500. But it will need a B250 board at minimum and will overshoot the budget. Also it does not have a price tag on PCPP France page.
    Anyways, there wont be a major ground breaking difference over 6500 that you can notice.
    Reply to Hellfire13
  38. Hellfire13 said:
    7500 is definitely a bit better. Around 5% to 10% gain over 6500. But it will need a B250 board at minimum and will overshoot the budget. Also it does not have a price tag on PCPP France page.
    Anyways, there wont be a major ground breaking difference over 6500 that you can notice.


    Yes. As long as I won't be suffering from horrible game performance I'll be fine... Especially from what I'm coming from lol
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  39. Best answer
    Well I think you have got your optimum configuration. Its better not to confuse yourself further. You should be good with that. And happy gaming.
    Cheers... :D
    Reply to Hellfire13
  40. Hellfire13 said:
    Well I think you have got your optimum configuration. Its better not to confuse yourself further. You should be good with that. And happy gaming.
    Cheers... :D


    But the question is: can it run Minecraft ?
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
  41. Minecraft is more cpu intensive game than gpu. But your configuration meets all the requirements. It should be able to run it.

    Minecraft Recommended Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz
    CPU Speed: Info
    RAM: 4 GB
    OS: Windows XP or better
    Video Card: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3
    Reply to Hellfire13
  42. Hellfire13 said:
    Minecraft is more cpu intensive game than gpu. But your configuration meets all the requirements. It should be able to run it.

    Minecraft Recommended Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz
    CPU Speed: Info
    RAM: 4 GB
    OS: Windows XP or better
    Video Card: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3


    Yeah I had gotten that I was kinda being ironic
    Reply to Zett_jukassa
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Go Gaming Build