1080 SLI bottleneck?

Brad Oxford

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hi. So, I was just curious. I currently have an i7 6700K, and a Z170-A motherboard. If I were to run 2 GTX 1080's in SLI, as well as a PCI Wireless Card, would there be any bottleneck? The motherboard says I can run 2 cards in SLI with x8 mode, which isn't much worse than x16. However, I'm wondering if, since the 6700K only has 16 PCIE lanes, and I'm also running a PCI WiFi card, if there would be a difference.

Solution
The 16 lanes from the CPU that you're talking about are only wired to the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots and is meant for use by graphics cards.

The add-in Wi-Fi card, whether it be PCIe x1 or PCI, would be connected to the peripheral buses on the Z170 chipset.

If you're worried about losing any PCIe 3.0 lanes between the CPU and graphics cards when the Wi-Fi card is installed there's no need to worry.
The 16 lanes from the CPU that you're talking about are only wired to the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots and is meant for use by graphics cards.

The add-in Wi-Fi card, whether it be PCIe x1 or PCI, would be connected to the peripheral buses on the Z170 chipset.

If you're worried about losing any PCIe 3.0 lanes between the CPU and graphics cards when the Wi-Fi card is installed there's no need to worry.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS