FX 8370 huge voltage/ghz drops when overclocking

Aug 1, 2015
Guys i've tried overclocking the 8370 things are good at 4.7ghz with 1.45vcore

BUT.. even after disabling everything extra on the 990 FXA UD3 Mobo
AND using High performance settings on windows 10
I Keep loosing clock and vcore all the way from 1.450 to .0.960 respectivly the mhz are 4.7 to 1.3
Cool'n quiet is disabled, C6 too and all other features for power saving are OFF!!
Load-Line Calibration in on second to highest ..
HOW do i stop this ?

Aug 1, 2015

Well at stock temp is 51 at max load - 1.39vcore

At 4.7 with 1.45vcore up to 65
I just went a step up to 4.8ghz and changes LLC to Extreme and that seems to add vcore cause it is 1.50 and goes to 1.524 max with max temp of 75 - it is stable but still does up and down every two seconds ... all the way down.... LLC didnt change a thing

EDIT : 4.8 ghz is not stable a notch down so im going back to 4.7 and another vcore step down.

Problem with downclocking still persists ... what do I do ?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
I have somewhat of an issue like this. I have an AMD A10 6800k 4.1ghz, overclocked to 4.5ghz. I want to overclock more, but I need more voltage. Say I want to overclock to 4.7-4.8ghz, I need my voltage to go over 1.3625, but every time I go beyond that voltage, my processor will downclock itself to 3.7ghz while the voltage applied and is working. I don't know what is causing it to downclock when I increase the voltage. I have enough power from my PSUs.

EDIT: Grammar fixes.

Aug 1, 2015

4.8 ghz is not stable a notch down so im going back to 4.7 and another vcore step down.

Problem with downclocking still persists ... what do I do ?

I really dont know what VRM temps are ?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

So you're saying when I add more voltage, it's going to lower the overclock no matter what? If so, how do I get passed this?

neieus

Distinguished
Sorry it's been a while since I've been online. What I'm saying is the more voltage you provide to the CPU and enabling LLC will cause increased temps on the VRM's. I have my Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 running overclocked with LLC on normal but the increased voltage due to my overclocked cpu still causes my temps to rise. In order to counter this and because I am using water cooling I just added an additional 120mm fan to blow air over the vrm's. In order to monitor your VRM temps you could use something like hwinfo and if it's truly your vrm's then get a fan to blow over them.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

Thanks for the reply. It's okay if it wasn't for a while. I figured out a couple days ago that my motherboard doesn't have enough VRMs and doesn't even have a VRM cooler itself, so that's why I can't do much overclocking. I'm soon going to a mobo that does have enough VRMs with DDR4 and an i7 7700k.

neieus

Distinguished
Sounds like an excellent choice. My final piece of advice is to wait for RyZen to come out and be reviewed before making any major purchase. If after the release you still go with Intel excellent but at least there will be some sort of price competition between the two finally.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

Just saw Ryzen and it's sure a better choice. I'm going with Ryzen 1700 or Ryzen 1700x as Ryzen 1800x is too much for me with RAM and paste included. Thanks for the heads up.