Is i5 3570 compatible with GIGABYTE H61M-S?

CyberBlade

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
My PC is struggling now. So I thought to upgrade it. But I don't have enough money. My PC specs are:-

Intel Pentium G2030 3.00 GHz
GIGABYTE H61M-S Motherboard
2 GB RAM
No GPU
Zebronic 450watt PSU
500GB HDD 7200rpm

Upgrading RAM to 8 GB and a GTX 1050Ti

But I can't upgrade to kabylake due to lack of money. Then I will have to buy new motherboard etc.

So can I put an i5 3570 (non k) in my GIGABYTE H61M-S? Will this work and is my PSU is fine or I will have to buy new one?

Solution
Yeah, it should work fine, but you might still consider replacing your power supply, not because it won't have enough watts but because poorly built offbrand units risk taking your other hardware with them when they die. You can get a half-decent entry level unit for about $30-40.
Yeah, it should work fine, but you might still consider replacing your power supply, not because it won't have enough watts but because poorly built offbrand units risk taking your other hardware with them when they die. You can get a half-decent entry level unit for about $30-40.

Solution

CyberBlade

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Ok if I put an Ivy bridge i5 in it what sort of performance gain can I get?

I mean can I do almost every thing on it till next 3 to 4 year. I only want to do some light video editing, photoshop and only CS: GO & GTA V and recording gameplays not often.

So, Ivy Bridge is already 5 years old at this point. In 4 years, it will be 9 years old, which is practically prehistoric in the PC world. That said, it doesn't sound like you're a power user and it might work fine for you.

An i5 3xxx is a little more than double your Pentium. Twice the cores, twice the cache, slightly higher frequency, and it includes some instruction sets the Pentium doesn't have, such as AVX. An i7 3xxx would be 30-40% better than an i5, and is actually a fair value these days.

I'm still running an Ivy Bridge CPU and I'm very happy with it. It doesn't perform well compared with modern overclocked Skylake and Kaby Lake Core i7's, but it performs very well based on my expectations and what I ask of it. I can't predict what software will look like in 3 or 4 years, so I really don't know whether the CPU I have will run it well.