looking for 1394 connection on an Asus Deluxe II

Snoopy_62

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Corsair 500R case and the front has a 1394 connections plus fan switch etc. so where do I connect the 1394 plug onto the motherboard??Thanks for the info ahead of time The manual doesn;t say a thing about it so I guess I must be stupid, even with a chemistry degree.

Yeah wow, I haven't seen Firewire (1394) on a device for years and years. I used it fairly extensively on camcoders back in the day, but once DV tapes were ditched in favour of solid state storage the latency and more reliable sustained transfer speeds that Firewire provided weren't important anymore. I'm actually surprised that case includes the Firewire front panel.

Do you actually need Firewire, or are you just looking to make sure everything in your case is actually connected? A bit of Googling tells me that some audio production workflows do still leverage Firewire. So, if you really do need it there are add in cards you can get, some of which include a header for your front panel.

Firewire isn't very common on motherboards these days. If you want to use it, then you will generally need a PCI or PCIe addon card. You should also make sure that you have drivers for the version of windows you want to use. Windows 10 on new hardware might not have drivers made for some older firewire devices.

Snoopy_62

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

okay I didn't intedn to use it but the case had the connectors for it so I thought maybe--thanks