Can I use a 1070 in my current pc?

Dibble00

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
Hi,

I'm just curious if this card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDUVJ1I/ref=twister_B01KJG... will fit and be decently compatible in my current computer(just has to be better than my 770's)? I don't know much at all about computers but from what I could find, I think i may need to upgrade my motherboard and possibly the CPU. I have approx. $500 to spend after I purchase a graphics card for further upgrades, but as I don't know how to change out parts, I'll probably also need to hire someone to do it.

Here are my specs:
CASE: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Full Tower Chassis
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition 8-Core Socket AM3+ CPU Processor
RAM: G.SKILL TridentX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 2400MHz Memory F3-2400C10D-16GTX
GRAPHICS CARD/S: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 OC Edition 4GB Video Card (x2)
POWER SUPPLY: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS 850W Digital PSU PS-TPG-0850DPCGAU-1
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 Motherboard
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD OEM
HDD: Western Digital WD30EZRX WD 3TB Green 3.5” IntelliPower SATA3 Hard Drive

My main concern right now is that I'm starting to struggle with playing certain games, even on low(Witcher 3, ARK, Overwatch, high population WoW). Witcher 3 can barely hit 60fps on the lowest settings.

Any help that can be provided is appreciated, Thanks.

Solution
Here is the news on PCIE x16 tech:
When it says 2.0, this is the older spec which is slower than 3.0. The PCIE performance is measured by bandwidth (GB/s).
Research shows that games have virtually no benefit from 3.0 over 2.0, as the bandwidth even 2.0 offers is more than enough.
Also, any newer device is backwards compatible with all previous technologies, so a newer 3.0 GPU will work fine in a 2.0 slot.

So yes, all compatible, nothing to worry about :)

DigitalHamster

Respectable
Nov 10, 2016
As for changing any of the other hardware, you don't have to.
The PSU is powerful enough, the motherboard supports PCIE x16 so no issues there.

The FX-8350 is an alright processor but might not have the power to max the graphics card out in intensive games.
Essentially, the FX-8350 might be a bottleneck, like you are experiencing.

As for upgrading the CPU and motherboard, I think it makes sense to wait until Ryzen is released, then enjoy the drops in prices of Intel's lineup, or even buy a new AMD CPU :D
I think you are plenty capable of fitting all the parts yourself! There are loads of guides on the internet and as long as you don't do anything stupid, it is pretty foolproof.
What may break the parts is bending, bashing, getting them wet, leaving loose screws lying around, or static shocks (nylon jumper and carpet usually). I have never had any such issues.
Also, building your own PC is great fun and will save you money in the future!

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

FX-8350 wont even bottleneck a GTX 970. I had a gtx 980 and it only got bottlenecked in high demand games.

Those games may already be pushing your CPU to its limits as you are running low settings. What's your cpu usage like? How many cores stay at 95% or above? If this is the case a gpu upgrade will do little for your fps but may allow you to run higher settings at similar fps.

Dibble00

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017

I read somewhere that the 1070 needs PCIe 3.0 connectors and my motherboard only has the 2.0 version. I have no idea what that really means because I'm not a big computer guy. I think I'll buy another CPU then when the ryzen comes out, should I wait until then to buy the 1070 or just buy it now and install it? I don't mind a bit of bottlenecking, just as long as I can play witcher 3 and overwatch on high/ultra.

DigitalHamster

Respectable
Nov 10, 2016
Here is the news on PCIE x16 tech:
When it says 2.0, this is the older spec which is slower than 3.0. The PCIE performance is measured by bandwidth (GB/s).
Research shows that games have virtually no benefit from 3.0 over 2.0, as the bandwidth even 2.0 offers is more than enough.
Also, any newer device is backwards compatible with all previous technologies, so a newer 3.0 GPU will work fine in a 2.0 slot.

So yes, all compatible, nothing to worry about :)

Solution