Is the 1070 or 1080 a good option for us?

Repo79

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
I was set on the 1080, but thinking about a few things. Will a 1070 ftw2 icx do us good for a few years? And if so what monitor can i match to it to get the most out of that combo? The boys are into shooter type games, cod, halo, titan fall, watch dogs, battlefield, etc Dad here likes simulation types games and need for speed hot pursuit. Of course the 1070 will ease the budget for sure but would we lose out on anything?
Here is what we built
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BXwyZ8

Solution
you lose about 20% at both resolutions sticking with a 1070.

but you're still above 60 fps on most games with a 1070 at 1440p. this of course will slowly drop or require settings to be lowered over time. so if 1440p is in your plan, then the extra bit for a 1080 will make sure you stay ahead of newer games for a while longer.

does not really matter which 1080 you get other than an FE card. they all stay within a few fps of each other no matter what. overclocking gains almost nothing, nor does the expensive over-engineered cards that can cost $100 more at times.

you mentioned the FTW2 cards as an option. reviews have shown that the FTW card gains almost nothing over a much cheaper SC card from EVGA. literally 1-2 fps for that extra...

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
So, you'll lose out on roughly 2 Teraflops of computing power, which is about 25% of overall performance.

So, let me offer some suggestions.

Get the ASUS ROG Strix Z270E ($200) or the ASUS Z270 A PRIME ($170) motherboard.
Unless there's something explicit on the Hero you need, such as 4133 MHZ RAM, or CMOS reset switches, you don't need that.

I have the strix thrown in a $3000 build and it performs outstanding. The ASUS Z270 A Prime is an outstanding part for 50-60 less.

You do not need an 850W power supply. You can go down as low as 550w for even a build like mine, especially with a build like yours.

Don't buy the corsair vengeance unless you just like them. Look for GSkill Ripjaw V series at the same MHZ frequency, and storage capacity. It's much cheaper ($10-$20).

This should offset your build a little bit, and make the 1080 a more appealing option.

To answer your specific question, the 1070 is a great card, and you won't be disappointed. The 1080 is also absolutely outstanding. I love it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the question is what resolution are you looking at? at 1080p a 1070 is more than enough and some. at higher resolutions the 1080 starts looking like a better option.

if all you're looking at is 1080p, then save the cash and get a 1070 while putting that little extra into a 120 hz or more monitor. that'll show you more of the fps the card is making and enhance the gameplay a bit for the shooters the kids play.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you lose about 20% at both resolutions sticking with a 1070.

but you're still above 60 fps on most games with a 1070 at 1440p. this of course will slowly drop or require settings to be lowered over time. so if 1440p is in your plan, then the extra bit for a 1080 will make sure you stay ahead of newer games for a while longer.

does not really matter which 1080 you get other than an FE card. they all stay within a few fps of each other no matter what. overclocking gains almost nothing, nor does the expensive over-engineered cards that can cost $100 more at times.

you mentioned the FTW2 cards as an option. reviews have shown that the FTW card gains almost nothing over a much cheaper SC card from EVGA. literally 1-2 fps for that extra $50 in cost. does that mean, the FTW is a bad card? not at all, just that all the extra power used amounts to very little in game fps. they do have an 1080 SC2 card with the new fancy ICX cooler that's $30 less than the 1080 ftw2. that $30 may be the budget difference for a nice monitor to go with it.

here is a list of all the models available along with specs to compare with http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902598

prices are there where available as well but they may not be 100% accurate as they change all the time

edit: for reference, i noted you lose about 20%. so that 1440p 60 fps you'd get with a 1070 is about 75 fps with a 1080 in the same test. too keep it in perspective and have you imaging too much of a gain with a 1080.

Solution