FX-8350 Bottnecks my GTX 980

DeathBook85

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Title explains it. In BF1 I get in the 50's. similar performance in other games. My CPU is overclocked to 4.3 GHz and my RAM to 1866 MHz. I've been told that the 8350 shouldn't bottleneck the 980 a whole lot but the performance says otherwise. Are there any BIOS settings that should be enabled/disabled that may be hurting my performance. I used MSI afterburner and GPU usage was nowhere near 100%. Max it got to was around 70% but that's about it. Please don't say I need an Intel or I need to wait for Zen. I've been told that plenty.

Solution
Well BF1 is a very CPU heavy game, so you will see huge bottlenecking there. The 8350 is several years old now, and is no longer a top performing CPU. I don't think you have any room for upward movement with that CPU in terms of changing BIOS settings, it sounds like it's performing on a pretty normal level for that game. I'm not going to tell you that you need an Intel or Zen CPU, but if you want to get better frame rates, then that is really your only option unless you can squeeze a little more overclocking out of your current CPU.

Idk what other games you are seeing similar performance in, but I would think that it's most likely the same thing across the board.
Well BF1 is a very CPU heavy game, so you will see huge bottlenecking there. The 8350 is several years old now, and is no longer a top performing CPU. I don't think you have any room for upward movement with that CPU in terms of changing BIOS settings, it sounds like it's performing on a pretty normal level for that game. I'm not going to tell you that you need an Intel or Zen CPU, but if you want to get better frame rates, then that is really your only option unless you can squeeze a little more overclocking out of your current CPU.

Idk what other games you are seeing similar performance in, but I would think that it's most likely the same thing across the board.

Solution