Solved

CPU matching GTX 1060 3GB

Hello everyone. I've got a few questions about the new generation of CPUs' intel has launched recently. At the moment I own an i3 6100 @3.7GHz. I feel my GPU is being bottlenecked by my CPU. Also, I've got 8GB crucial DDR4 RAM. My motherboard is a micro-ATX GA-B150M-D3H. So this being said, would you recommend me to upgrade my CPU for moderated gaming and some video editing/rendering usage? If so, for which one? What about my RAM? Should I upgrade as well?
Thank you very much. Giovanni.
Reply to elgiov
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cpu matching gtx 1060 3gb
  1. Whats is your GPU and what games are you playing ?
    Reply to misteriosly
  2. My GPU is on the threads title, a GTX 1060 3GB. Currently I am just playing Rocket League because of the fps drops I suffer while playing watchsdogs ll, battlefield 1, and so on.
    Reply to elgiov
  3. Well, depending on what settings you want to play those games at you should definitely upgrade CPU.
    Usually i5-6600 or i5-7600 would be your best budget choices, where the second one is slightly better of course.
    Altho battlefield may push em to the max too, it should be playable on high settings, not everything on ULTRA probably.
    And definitely bump the ram to 16gb, as lately everything consumes way more RAM.
    If you can stretch your budget you could get an i7 but im not sure its worth to spend that much right now for an i7.

    You may want to wait a little and see what happens when Ryzen launches, since there is the possibility that Intel prices would drop OR that you could get a good Ryzen CPU for a handy price.
    Reply to misteriosly
  4. misteriosly said:
    Well, depending on what settings you want to play those games at you should definitely upgrade CPU.
    Usually i5-6600 or i5-7600 would be your best budget choices, where the second one is slightly better of course.
    Altho battlefield may push em to the max too, it should be playable on high settings, not everything on ULTRA probably.
    And definitely bump the ram to 16gb, as lately everything consumes way more RAM.
    If you can stretch your budget you could get an i7 but im not sure its worth to spend that much right now for an i7.

    You may want to wait a little and see what happens when Ryzen launches, since there is the possibility that Intel prices would drop OR that you could get a good Ryzen CPU for a handy price.


    I don't want ant to spend more than $250. When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based?
    Reply to elgiov
  5. I don't want ant to spend more than $250. - i5 7600 is around 220-240$ depending where u get it from, you can actually aim for i5 7500 which comes around 200$ and spend the rest on getting more ram.

    When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? - i mean the locked version i5 7600.
    The difference between 7600 and 7600k is that the 7600k can be overclocked and have slightly higher base frequencies.
    But your Motherboard doesn't support overclocking, hence why i suggested the locked version.

    Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based? - no Ryzen would require motherboard with AM4 socket.
    Reply to misteriosly
  6. elgiov said:
    misteriosly said:
    Well, depending on what settings you want to play those games at you should definitely upgrade CPU.
    Usually i5-6600 or i5-7600 would be your best budget choices, where the second one is slightly better of course.
    Altho battlefield may push em to the max too, it should be playable on high settings, not everything on ULTRA probably.
    And definitely bump the ram to 16gb, as lately everything consumes way more RAM.
    If you can stretch your budget you could get an i7 but im not sure its worth to spend that much right now for an i7.

    You may want to wait a little and see what happens when Ryzen launches, since there is the possibility that Intel prices would drop OR that you could get a good Ryzen CPU for a handy price.


    I don't want ant to spend more than $250. When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based?


    The "K" indicates that the CPU can be overclocked. CPUs without the K are locked to their factory speed.

    AMD CPUs require AMD socket motherboards. You would have to purchase am AM4+ motherboard, as opposed to your LGA1151.
    Reply to theyeti87
  7. misteriosly said:
    I don't want ant to spend more than $250. - i5 7600 is around 220-240$ depending where u get it from, you can actually aim for i5 7500 which comes around 200$ and spend the rest on getting more ram.

    When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? - i mean the locked version i5 7600.
    The difference between 7600 and 7600k is that the 7600k can be overclocked and have slightly higher base frequencies.
    But your Motherboard doesn't support overclocking, hence why i suggested the locked version.

    Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based? - no Ryzen would require motherboard with AM4 socket.

    Thank you for your complete answer and answering all my points. My new concern now is, if I upgrade to i5 7600 and I wait more than a month to upgrade my 8gb ram to 16gb, would that be a bad idea? Would my 8gb bottleneck anything for that short period of time? Thank you.
    Reply to elgiov
  8. elgiov said:
    misteriosly said:
    I don't want ant to spend more than $250. - i5 7600 is around 220-240$ depending where u get it from, you can actually aim for i5 7500 which comes around 200$ and spend the rest on getting more ram.

    When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? - i mean the locked version i5 7600.
    The difference between 7600 and 7600k is that the 7600k can be overclocked and have slightly higher base frequencies.
    But your Motherboard doesn't support overclocking, hence why i suggested the locked version.

    Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based? - no Ryzen would require motherboard with AM4 socket.

    Thank you for your complete answer and answering all my points. My new concern now is, if I upgrade to i5 7600 and I wait more than a month to upgrade my 8gb ram to 16gb, would that be a bad idea? Would my 8gb bottleneck anything for that short period of time? Thank you.


    Probably 8gb would be enough for most of your gaming, as long as you aren't multitasking too much.
    I mean having the game started and 1-2 sites opened is fine, eventually only battlefield may fill your RAM completely but i doubt it at this point.

    Just to tell you that your Motherboard supports i5 7600, but since BIOS F20, meaning that you would need to update your bios prior installing the CPU.
    Also most of i5 7600 CPU's don't come with heat sink, meaning you would use your OLD CPU cooling solution, which should be fine.
    Reply to misteriosly
  9. first check with ur latest bios ur mobo can support the 7th gen i5. if so get the 7500 or go for 6600. since u cant overclock, the 6600k is wasted imo. the 6600 or 7500 sure as hell wont bottleneck the 1060 ;)
    Reply to Lucky_SLS
  10. misteriosly said:
    elgiov said:
    misteriosly said:
    I don't want ant to spend more than $250. - i5 7600 is around 220-240$ depending where u get it from, you can actually aim for i5 7500 which comes around 200$ and spend the rest on getting more ram.

    When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? - i mean the locked version i5 7600.
    The difference between 7600 and 7600k is that the 7600k can be overclocked and have slightly higher base frequencies.
    But your Motherboard doesn't support overclocking, hence why i suggested the locked version.

    Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based? - no Ryzen would require motherboard with AM4 socket.

    Thank you for your complete answer and answering all my points. My new concern now is, if I upgrade to i5 7600 and I wait more than a month to upgrade my 8gb ram to 16gb, would that be a bad idea? Would my 8gb bottleneck anything for that short period of time? Thank you.


    Probably 8gb would be enough for most of your gaming, as long as you aren't multitasking too much.
    I mean having the game started and 1-2 sites opened is fine, eventually only battlefield may fill your RAM completely but i doubt it at this point.

    Just to tell you that your Motherboard supports i5 7600, but since BIOS F20, meaning that you would need to update your bios prior installing the CPU.
    Also most of i5 7600 CPU's don't come with heat sink, meaning you would use your OLD CPU cooling solution, which should be fine.



    Sorry to bother, but is it easy to upgrade the bios? How do I know to which update should I stick to? Also, I have no thermal paste, nor cooling solution. Should I get one? If so, which one?
    Reply to elgiov
  11. elgiov said:
    misteriosly said:
    elgiov said:
    misteriosly said:
    I don't want ant to spend more than $250. - i5 7600 is around 220-240$ depending where u get it from, you can actually aim for i5 7500 which comes around 200$ and spend the rest on getting more ram.

    When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? - i mean the locked version i5 7600.
    The difference between 7600 and 7600k is that the 7600k can be overclocked and have slightly higher base frequencies.
    But your Motherboard doesn't support overclocking, hence why i suggested the locked version.

    Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based? - no Ryzen would require motherboard with AM4 socket.

    Thank you for your complete answer and answering all my points. My new concern now is, if I upgrade to i5 7600 and I wait more than a month to upgrade my 8gb ram to 16gb, would that be a bad idea? Would my 8gb bottleneck anything for that short period of time? Thank you.


    Probably 8gb would be enough for most of your gaming, as long as you aren't multitasking too much.
    I mean having the game started and 1-2 sites opened is fine, eventually only battlefield may fill your RAM completely but i doubt it at this point.

    Just to tell you that your Motherboard supports i5 7600, but since BIOS F20, meaning that you would need to update your bios prior installing the CPU.
    Also most of i5 7600 CPU's don't come with heat sink, meaning you would use your OLD CPU cooling solution, which should be fine.




    Sorry to bother, but is it easy to upgrade the bios? Nowadays alot of the bioses have inbuild UPDATE.
    Meaning in the bios menu you should check if there is update the bios via network.
    So i guess yes its easy, other way is to download bios from manufacturer site, save it on your HDD C:\ root or on a flash drive, restart go into bios and check for update bios.
    Usually in tools bios flash or something like that.


    How do I know to which update should I stick to?
    You can check @ vendor site, for your motherboard:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B150M-D3H-rev-10#support-cpu

    Also, I have no thermal paste, nor cooling solution. Should I get one? If so, which one?
    For thermal paste you can get something like Arctic MX or any famous ones, as long as they are cheap.
    Yes you do have a cooling solution, your Current CPU does have installed heat sink + fan on it.
    You will use that same cooling solution.
    Reply to misteriosly
  12. misteriosly said:
    elgiov said:
    misteriosly said:
    elgiov said:
    misteriosly said:
    I don't want ant to spend more than $250. - i5 7600 is around 220-240$ depending where u get it from, you can actually aim for i5 7500 which comes around 200$ and spend the rest on getting more ram.

    When you say i5 7600, is it the same as i5 7600k? If not, what's the difference? - i mean the locked version i5 7600.
    The difference between 7600 and 7600k is that the 7600k can be overclocked and have slightly higher base frequencies.
    But your Motherboard doesn't support overclocking, hence why i suggested the locked version.

    Also, would the ryzen fit my mobo? Is it LGA 1151 based? - no Ryzen would require motherboard with AM4 socket.

    Thank you for your complete answer and answering all my points. My new concern now is, if I upgrade to i5 7600 and I wait more than a month to upgrade my 8gb ram to 16gb, would that be a bad idea? Would my 8gb bottleneck anything for that short period of time? Thank you.


    Probably 8gb would be enough for most of your gaming, as long as you aren't multitasking too much.
    I mean having the game started and 1-2 sites opened is fine, eventually only battlefield may fill your RAM completely but i doubt it at this point.

    Just to tell you that your Motherboard supports i5 7600, but since BIOS F20, meaning that you would need to update your bios prior installing the CPU.
    Also most of i5 7600 CPU's don't come with heat sink, meaning you would use your OLD CPU cooling solution, which should be fine.




    Sorry to bother, but is it easy to upgrade the bios? Nowadays alot of the bioses have inbuild UPDATE.
    Meaning in the bios menu you should check if there is update the bios via network.
    So i guess yes its easy, other way is to download bios from manufacturer site, save it on your HDD C:\ root or on a flash drive, restart go into bios and check for update bios.
    Usually in tools bios flash or something like that.


    How do I know to which update should I stick to?
    You can check @ vendor site, for your motherboard:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B150M-D3H-rev-10#support-cpu

    Also, I have no thermal paste, nor cooling solution. Should I get one? If so, which one?
    For thermal paste you can get something like Arctic MX or any famous ones, as long as they are cheap.
    Yes you do have a cooling solution, your Current CPU does have installed heat sink + fan on it.
    You will use that same cooling solution.


    Thanks for everything. Just one last question. With my fan is enough? Or I should buy that Arctic MX paste of 4g for about $4?
    Reply to elgiov
  13. The 7500/7600 non k chips come with an heatsink mate

    Just the k chips that don't.

    You dont need any paste at all.
    Stick with the 7500 , its $20 cheaper & all you lose is 100mhtz
    Reply to madmatt30
  14. madmatt30 said:
    The 7500/7600 non k chips come with an heatsink mate

    Just the k chips that don't.

    You dont need any paste at all.
    Stick with the 7500 , its $20 cheaper & all you lose is 100mhtz



    You really suggest that the $20 difference isn't worth it? I've read that the i5 7600 is 8% better than the i5 7500. Is this real? If so, isn't 8% a good difference at this level? I would like a professional opinion, as I am not quite informed about this subject. Thank you.
    Reply to elgiov
  15. elgiov said:
    madmatt30 said:
    The 7500/7600 non k chips come with an heatsink mate

    Just the k chips that don't.

    You dont need any paste at all.
    Stick with the 7500 , its $20 cheaper & all you lose is 100mhtz



    You really suggest that the $20 difference isn't worth it? I've read that the i5 7600 is 8% better than the i5 7500. Is this real? If so, isn't 8% a good difference at this level? I would like a professional opinion, as I am not quite informed about this subject. Thank you.


    that 8% would account for a max of 5 fps which imo is not worth it. go for the 7500 ;)

    P.S.: ppl who go for k series r mostly overclockers with z series mobo n custom coolers. so ur mobo rules that out sadly.
    Reply to Lucky_SLS
  16. On a single threaded test the 7600 is about 6.5% stronger due to the 300mhz higher base clock.
    In a 4 threaded game they'll both sit at 3.7/3.8ghz - the 7600 may theoretically push 2-3fps more .
    In real life though the 1060 3gb is more likely to limit the upper fps before that happens.

    The fact is your gpu is well suited to 60fps 1080p gaming , assuming you're running a 60htz screen the 7500 can generally push way more than 60fps.

    Stick with the 7500 , upgrade your ram to 16gb - that'll do the job nicely.
    Reply to madmatt30
  17. Lucky_SLS said:
    elgiov said:
    madmatt30 said:
    The 7500/7600 non k chips come with an heatsink mate

    Just the k chips that don't.

    You dont need any paste at all.
    Stick with the 7500 , its $20 cheaper & all you lose is 100mhtz



    You really suggest that the $20 difference isn't worth it? I've read that the i5 7600 is 8% better than the i5 7500. Is this real? If so, isn't 8% a good difference at this level? I would like a professional opinion, as I am not quite informed about this subject. Thank you.


    that 8% would account for a max of 5 fps which imo is not worth it. go for the 7500 ;)

    DO you have any idea when will cannonlake be released and if it's worth the wait?
    P.S.: ppl who go for k series r mostly overclockers with z series mobo n custom coolers. so ur mobo rules that out sadly.
    Reply to elgiov
  18. Best answer
    elgiov said:
    Lucky_SLS said:
    elgiov said:
    madmatt30 said:
    The 7500/7600 non k chips come with an heatsink mate

    Just the k chips that don't.

    You dont need any paste at all.
    Stick with the 7500 , its $20 cheaper & all you lose is 100mhtz



    You really suggest that the $20 difference isn't worth it? I've read that the i5 7600 is 8% better than the i5 7500. Is this real? If so, isn't 8% a good difference at this level? I would like a professional opinion, as I am not quite informed about this subject. Thank you.


    that 8% would account for a max of 5 fps which imo is not worth it. go for the 7500 ;)

    DO you have any idea when will cannonlake be released and if it's worth the wait?
    P.S.: ppl who go for k series r mostly overclockers with z series mobo n custom coolers. so ur mobo rules that out sadly.




    wait for the ryzen n see, if it really performs well and gives even as much as 15-25 % gains over kabylake, waiting for cannon till 2018 is tiresome.
    so if ryzen is better, hop on to the red team or go with 7500 ;)
    Reply to Lucky_SLS
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gtx CPUs Intel