Solved

New graphic card. Help needed and appreciated (Is ASUS DUAL-RX480-O4G really that loud?)

Hello guys,

I am thinking about graphic upgrade finally as I have some issues with AMD driver stopping responding on my AMD HD 7850

my spec so you know what I am working with:
Proc: I7 6800k (not overclocked)
Mobo: Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7850 (not overclocked)
RAM: KINGSTON HyperX 16GB DDR4
HDD: Samsung 850 M.2 SSD + WD Black 2TB
PSU: Corsair 550W

now to the point. Was getting ready to get GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD as I only read good things about it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K7I7M00?ie=UTF8&tag=prie0f-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1634&creativeASIN=B01K7I7M00 £242

but then I started researching and reading this forum for like 2 days. Was even thinking about 1050Ti as it would give me good savings gigabyte one for £150 but then I found this deal:

Asus Radeon DUAL RX 480 GDDR5 4GB OC VR Gaming Graphics Card £154
http://www.awd-it.co.uk/asus-radeon-dual-rx-480-gddr5-4gb-oc-vr-gaming-graphics-card.html

and 8GB model for £183
http://www.awd-it.co.uk/asus-radeon-dual-rx-480-gddr5-8gb-oc-vr-gaming-graphics-card.html

so I have no idea what to do now. I mean normally ASUS would be obvious choice due to savings but for 8GB version I cannot find any reviews anywhere. For 4GB I could find some and everyone says that the fan is loud like a jet engine (this statement is found in most of those reviews) Is it really that bad? I mostly use my PC at night when my kids sleep in next room, how loud is it? jet engine loud seems scary.

Anyway any other thoughts? ideas? I was really ready to get that 1060 but £90 pounds difference is so big. OH and ASUS needs 8pin PSU connection that I don't have but I have seen some 8pin adaptor cables like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wentronic-Express-Internal-Power-Supply/dp/B002E4V414/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1487954543&sr=1-7&keywords=8pin+pci-e+cable so I don't think it's a big issue, would have to research that bit more.

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphic card needed appreciated asus dual rx480 o4g loud
  1. The R480 would be a better performing card than the 1050Ti. As for the noise I really don't see how that ASUS card can be that loud. I think you'll be fine.

    Also, ASUS probably has a software package that allows you to change the fan profile if the fans are too loud.
  2. gasaraki said:
    The R480 would be a better performing card than the 1050Ti. As for the noise I really don't see how that ASUS card can be that loud. I think you'll be fine.

    Also, ASUS probably has a software package that allows you to change the fan profile if the fans are too loud.


    well, changing profile is all fine but then temp on card goes up, right? not sure how valuable that would be
  3. I want to buy card tomorrow and would really appreciate comment from someone that actually owns that ASUS 480 card. Thanks.
  4. Suporex said:
    I want to buy card tomorrow and would really appreciate comment from someone that actually owns that ASUS 480 card. Thanks.



    BEtter get Sapphire rx480 Nitro+
  5. hydrogaming23 said:
    Suporex said:
    I want to buy card tomorrow and would really appreciate comment from someone that actually owns that ASUS 480 card. Thanks.



    BEtter get Sapphire rx480 Nitro+


    Sapphire rx480 Nitro+ price is same as Gigabyte GTX 1060 WC OC so I don't see reason to buy AMD then.
  6. Best answer
    I actually bought the 8gb variant of one of these 2 weeks ago and I can confirm it is REALLY loud. Like to the point where it's super annoying. Bear that in mind
Ask a new question

Read More

GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD 1050ti 1060 AMD Gigabyte Asus ASUS DUAL-RX480-O4G Dual Graphics Cards