FX 8350 going between 1.4 and 4 Ghz

thedarkrein

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
My cpu is constantly fluctuating between 1400 Mhz and 4000Mhz but it is meant to be at 4000 at all times. This has just started and now it mostly sits at 1.4 Ghz and rarely goes to 4Ghz and when it does it only does so for a few seconds before it goes back to 1.4. I have a MSI 970 motherboard 600W PSU 8 GB ram with a dark rock tf cooler and I havent done any overclocking on this cpu. I have disabled amd cool and quiet and other cpu power limiting settings in the bios and I have set the core managment to manual and all 8 cores are enabled. I have set the pc to high performance in windows and yet after all this it is still doing this. I have also checked the slow mode switch and it is off so its not that. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Unless this is happening when you're actively using the PC -- i.e. downloading a file, installing a program, gaming, streaming, etc. -- don't worry about it. It's just the CPU downclocking itself to save power. My FX-8320 does it all the time when I'm just idle on the PC -- even most general Internet surfing doesn't stress it -- but it boosts right up to top speed whenever something more strenuous is going on.

TheWindows7Gamer

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
All CPU's do that to manage power. The only way to FORCE it to stay at high speed is to open AMD Catalyst Control Center, but if you have a NVidia GPU, not alot you can do about it running at low speeds.

thedarkrein

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

I have a GTX 580 (Im planning an upgrade to a 1050 ti when I get the money) and it previously ran at 4Ghz constantly without any problems but now its at 1.4Ghz with short bursts of 4Ghz and it does this when idling and when under heavy load.

TheWindows7Gamer

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
I would recommend not getting a 1050 ti, I would get a AMD Radeon R9, It has a good price and will support DirectX 12, same as the 1050 TI. You will be able to get AMD Catalyst, and be able to modify your GPU clock speeds and CPU clock speeds to force it to run at 4GHz.

bignastyid

Titan
Try reseting bios defaults and/or loading optimized defaults. However after doing some searching it looks like these boards use some poor quality mosfets and are rather prone to failure and that would explain the throttling.
BTW your choice of gpu has nothing to do with your cpu throttling under load and would do so even with an AMD gpu.