i5-7600 Clock Speed Question

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I recently built a budget gamer using the i5-7600, Asus H110M-E/M.2, and 16 GB 2400 RAM. The processor has a rated clock speed of 3.5 GHz/4.1 GHz. For some reason, I have never seen the cores run as low as 3.5 GHz. At idle, the cores are all at 39xx - 41xx MHz. Under what load condition are the cores or an individual core supposed to be as low as 3.5GHz?

Below is a screenshot/cut of HWInfo as an example. I've checked several apps, all show about the same.
http://imgur.com/a/AHGzD

Kavinqt

Distinguished
That's weird, the i5-7500 is suppose to have a turbo clock of 3.8ghz not 4.1ghz I wouldn't be complaining though for some reason yours is getting better speeds.

basically the turbo clock means if it has headroom in temp it will run faster. If it gets to hot it will sit at its rated 3.5ghz.

Depending on how many cores are being used it will boost the clock speed. Usually the more cores being used the lower the boost. If you have high performance mode enabled in power options of windows then they will always run at 3.5GHz+. Intel speed stepping should drop them to 800MHz-1500 when idling.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

The 800 Mhz is to save power.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I don't have the i5-7500. I have the i5-7600. But yeah, no complaints... Just wondering why.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Yea it happens
I am using Intel i5 7600 - (because there no point of spending more if you not going overclock the CPU + you get a free cooler with non K versions CPU of Intel).
I am using with the New H270 Motherboards,

If you want that Turbo Speed you probably need a demanding game or application.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Does your CPU have the same clock speed situation, or did I get an oddity?

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

I think the CPU will go power saving mode if you are idle or some light applications is used

Been using mines for 33 days (Up to 13 hours each day) No problems

Let see what other have to say about this issue.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

It's not the turbo speed I have the question about. It is the base clock speed. It seems like the multi never drops to 35. Minimum it falls to is 38 (Win power set to high performance mode). I would have expected the multi to sit at 35 when the CPU cores' usage is at 0.x%. Like it has a factory 300 MHz OC.

What is your bus speed showing as in CPU-Z? Should have a 35 multiplier with a 100MHz bus speed = 3.5GHz

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

99.xx MHz
Nevermind. I think I understand why it is happening now. Turbo mode being enabled keeps the "low" end of the clock speed at an elevated number. Thanks .