Keep my i7 2600 - get new MOBO, or upgrade everything?

maxwelltl

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
I think I am at a crossroads. My current sys is an i7 2600 with 8 gig of DDR3 and an EVGA GeForce GTX560Ti video card supporting 2-24" monitors. I have a SSD system drive and 2-1T 7200 data drives. I have an ASUS P8P67 MOBO. I'm Running Windows 10. I am a teacher and use it mostly for schoolwork, general web surfing, some video editing, and Photoshop. Recently I started playing World of Warships and am having a lot of fun. It runs well, as far as I can tell. The problem started when I decided to upgrade the GPU to an EVGA 1070 FTW. I installed the latest drivers and started getting the Kmode Exception Not Handled MV91XX.sys error. Research shows this to be a driver conflict with the onboard Marvell Raid Driver. There also does not seem to be any updates from Marvell since 2012 and there is no mention of Windows 10 support on their website. So I am in a state now in which the OS will not even boot into safe mode. Looks like I will be doing an OS reload but I would like to get rid of the Marvell controller. So, with that said, should I just upgrade the MOBO and keep everything else? Or if I am going to update should I buy a new and faster i7 and memory? I am leaning towards keeping what I have and just get a different MOBO as I am not a hard core gamer and don't intend to overclock. I just want a nice reasonably good game, which I had before the recent mess. Can someone recommend a newer release MOBO that will take my processor and memory and doesn't use the Marvell chipset.

Solution
Look through your BIOS settings. There is likely an option to completely disable the Marvell controller. Just be sure to use the SATA Ports for the Intel controller.