RX 460 not working with my system

Sodichi

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
I have had my Radeon 6450 for years and was looking for an upgrade and my friend told me to get the rx 460 as i was on a budget. When i tried to instal the card however i only got a black screen but when i put it in my friends PC it worked fine.

My specs are: (literally xps prebuilt)
i5 2320
460 watts
6GB DDR3
1tb hard drive
Windows 10
and the card is the Powercolor rx 460 2 gb GDDR5
Thank you for your time.

Solution
Given that was a Dell employee who posted the information, I think that will be the most accurate information which we can rely upon. As such it should be a safe set of recommendations.

Referring back to the GPU hierarchy chart I linked previously, the GTX 460 would be an improvement over your current graphics card. And for the price, relatively speaking, it's not a huge risk. If it works then it's a fairly cheap way of getting better graphics before you complete your new build.

Ant_Teh_Nee

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522828/gpu-wont-work-in-my-system-works-in-friends-his-gpu-works-in-my-system-confus/

This is a problem I'm not great with, but read this. Maybe there is some good info in here

Some prebuilts don't allow upgrades. It may be worth checking your precise model and seeing if others have had the same problem. If memory serves, XPS is a Dell system and they sometimes come with recommended upgrades (I suspect they're the only upgrades Dell would allow).

A few simple things you could try putting aside the prebuilt aspect.

Make sure Windows is fully updated as this has been a cause of graphics card issues in the past.

If you can see BIOS then try booting into safe mode (you could try installing drivers there if you can).

Make sure cables are connected correctly. On that, what cable and port are you using to connect to your monitor from the graphics card?

Sodichi

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

Thank you for answering
From what i have found looking into other threads and looking up my model it seems like the rx460 is just not compatible with my motherboard which all this considered is not too bad as i was already building a new PC i will just use the rx460 for that one, but is there any viable upgrade to the 6450 that will make gaming more viable to me?

Edit : i am using VGA to VGA right now but i also have a HDMI to DVI connected which i used for the 460.

Sodichi

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

Thank you but the build will take about 20+ weeks to get all the last parts which is why i was looking to upgrade mine, would the 7750 or 7770 be viable as an upgrade to the 6450?

Ant_Teh_Nee

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

20 weeks? Where are you buying from? Shipping only takes about a week... I would call Dell and ask for their supported GPUs

Perhaps Sodichi needs to save for the money needed for it? But 20 weeks is a long way off... What can we do?

I agree with Ant_Teh_Nee about trying to find out if there are specific supported graphics cards. From my own digging around Dell tends to have something like that in certain manuals of theirs online. If indeed the PC limits upgrades, this would be the safest approach.

In terms of the upgrade I've seen it suggested that there should be a minimum of two tier difference in order to see tangible benefits: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
The HD 7750 and HD 7770 are certainly over two tiers higher than the HD 6450. However... given you've discovered the RX 460 is incompatible with your PC (assuming your PC does limit upgrades), I would be hesitant to suggest either of those graphics cards only for you to discover they won't work either.

Given that was a Dell employee who posted the information, I think that will be the most accurate information which we can rely upon. As such it should be a safe set of recommendations.

Referring back to the GPU hierarchy chart I linked previously, the GTX 460 would be an improvement over your current graphics card. And for the price, relatively speaking, it's not a huge risk. If it works then it's a fairly cheap way of getting better graphics before you complete your new build.

Solution