RX 480 Crashing/ Freezing!!

Charlie Dunn

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I recently bought an open box Sapphire RX 480 from Newegg to replace my Sapphire R9 270. I used DDU to uninstall all my old drivers. I installed the RX 480 into my system, and everything seemed to be going well. The card wasn't recognized at first probably because of no display drivers being installed, but my desktop would preform basic tasks. When I downloaded the latest drivers, my PC started to seriously lag and become unresponsive. I would click on something, my display would freeze for a few seconds, then turn back on again, repeatedly until an eventual blue screen saying Video_TDR_Failure. My old card still works just fine when reverting back. Could this be a faulty card? Bad PSU? Bad drivers? I would do a fresh windows install BUT I have a lot of programs I don't want to fiddle with getting again. Here's a video I made on it so you can see it first hand: https://youtu.be/M8LjqQt2zdI. As always guys, thank you so much!

Solution
Progress is good. Some driver updates for AMD and Nvidia alike do have weirdness from time to time, so is always good to read the release notes (see the tab) before you decide to update...

Charlie Dunn

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I have a ROSEWILL Arc 550m PSU. It seems to work just fine with my other card. I realize it's not the greatest but it stays quiet and seems to be in good working order. I'm going to send the card back. I have no issue in replacing parts, it's just that the nearest Microcenter is 3 hours away, and I have to wait a week for shipping. I appreciate your answer though my friend.

Geekwad

Admirable

Charlie Dunn

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
So I followed your instructions and I actually made some progress, my card seems to be working ok in games. It's still unbearably slow outside of them though, I'll open a window, just for my screen to freeze, go dim, and come back up again. So far no blue screens, but what could be causing it be running so slow. It's slowing down my system. I ran a user benchmark and it seems to run as expected in that. I have a 550W ARC ROSEWILL PSU. It's probably not the best. Could this slow my system down and cause these black screens and freezes?

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with YOUR card my RX 480 is the same. Black screens in games randomly, green screen when I wake the pc back up, blue screens, when it works it's great, but playing games in 10 - 20 minute intervals before it black screens isn't great.

Tried older drivers, newest ones, different watt man settings, if it fixes anything then it's for an hour or so then same thing again.

If you find any solutions please post them

KennethDev

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

This seems to be an issue with the latest AMD Drivers. I updated my XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB to the latest AMD Drivers yesterday (they came out yesterday), and I started have a black screen flicker every now and then. Also, the screen would briefly freeze. I reverted the drivers and it works fine now.

Geekwad

Admirable
Progress is good. Some driver updates for AMD and Nvidia alike do have weirdness from time to time, so is always good to read the release notes (see the tab) before you decide to update:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/apu?os=Windows+10+-+64

If you don't see any fixes or game updates that apply to you, then I would say it's optional to update. If you do, remember that if anything comes up you can always revert back to an older version (though of course it doesn't work in this case as you did a clean uninstall).

Here's a good list if you wanted to an older version though:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

With WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) drivers being the best stable bet:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%207%20-%2064&rev=16.12.2

Solution

Geekwad

Admirable

This sounds to me like a bit of a deeper problem, you may try re-posting as a new thread. Feel free to send a PM with a link to the thread.