Fx-8370 in 2017

AdurnX

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Is cpu AMD fx-8370 good (with RX 480) for gaming and occasional streaming (mostly overwatch) in decent quality?

Solution
And most of the time, when a new CPU is coming up and people are talking about it, some will wonder if what they have is still good and if they are not too far behind this time.
Wait... You know what? That might be the case.

I wouldn't buy an FX in 2017, never said I would and never said he should. RyZen is just a couple of days on the shelves, I already preordered one eventhough I have my 8370 and am, tired of saying it again, perfectly happy with it still. Price went down, and it seems there are no pre-orders anymore, stocks are empty. So I did right. And I'll see if I decide to keep it or send it back, unused of course.

That's the only one reason you should point out: RyZen...

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
I'm perfectly happy with mine. OverWatch, PS2, X-Com2, stuffs like that, they all run very well with my 1060. And I'm not talking about heavy multicore programs, heh?
I've preordered a RyZen to see how much lower the price will get (went from €559 to €529 already) but I don't think I'll keep it as my 8370 totally fits my needs. Really fast for what I'm doing, so... If I was only a gamer, I would get myself a PS4 or a X-Box, not a PC...

The whole FX8XXX range are a bad buy in 2017. They use a 5-6 year old design, are weak and give no decent upgrade path. You should be looking at Ryzen or Intel if buying now. For example the latest Pentiums and i3 can beat a FX8350 in all the gaming benchmarks I have seen.

Anyone who thinks a PS4 or XBox are better for gaming I would be dubious of. I have PC and XBox One and the PC is miles ahead in detail, fps and control input in a lot of games (keyboard & mouse).

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
He never said he was going to buy a 8370, heh? He just asks if it's still a good CPU in 2017. And it is. Not the best, but it's still a (very) good CPU.
As for the difference between a console and a computer, you have to spend way more to play on a computer with the same or equal quality you can have on a console. I also prefer the keyboard and mouse of course, but designers and programmers take the best of the single architecture of a console, push it to its limit, with best result. Hence my answer.
Now you can have both if you have the means :)

I did caveat my thread saying if buying now, its not clear if the CPU is already owned or going to be bought.

While building a budget gaming pc is more expensive even a budget build outperforms a console and when you factor in cheaper games and a pc can do so much more the cost gap is insignificant IMO.

Most of the time when people ask how good something is, it's because they don't have it yet. Of course an FX will do about as well on January 1st 2017 as it did on December 31st 2016, and if OP already has the chip they're already aware of that.

I would not buy an FX in 2017. They're not awful CPUs and still handle many things well enough, but there are a lot of reasons they're not good buys.

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
And most of the time, when a new CPU is coming up and people are talking about it, some will wonder if what they have is still good and if they are not too far behind this time.
Wait... You know what? That might be the case.

I wouldn't buy an FX in 2017, never said I would and never said he should. RyZen is just a couple of days on the shelves, I already preordered one eventhough I have my 8370 and am, tired of saying it again, perfectly happy with it still. Price went down, and it seems there are no pre-orders anymore, stocks are empty. So I did right. And I'll see if I decide to keep it or send it back, unused of course.

That's the only one reason you should point out: RyZen...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS