RX 480 in a Dell Optiplex 755 MT?

choc70

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Hi, can anyone tell me If i can fit an MSI Armor RX 480 4GB OC in a Dell Optiplex 755 MT?

This is my first time upgrading a desktop, so I wanna do it right. I am on a budget of around $250-300.
I plan to upgrade the cpu to a q9550, add more ram, and upgrade the PSU to a 500watt from its original 305watt PSU.

Solution
I've put ITX cards in Micro BTX with some trimming of the cover and the bracket. Caps can be laid down using short wires to extend the legs. I haven't done a 755 though. 95W CPU limit kills the fun.
Dell T3500 w3690 12Gb RAM would be a good start. Dual GPU support. Aftermarket PSU fits.
Or go mainstream ATX.
my main worry would be the CPU cooler might be in the way of the card, your card is shy of 11 inches, get a ruler, line it up at the pcie slot and make sure you have 11 inches of space. If you dont have the space there is the GIGABYTE RX480 which comes in at about 9.3 inches, if that still doesnt work get a GTX1060 they come as small as 6.8.

choc70

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

hey bud, so i do have 6.8 inch of space available, but the big ol'e capicitor next to the PCIe slot might get in the way. There is space for a 9.3 inch card and maybe an 11 inch card if i place it away from the cooler and next to the regular PCI slots. Could i perhaps get a PCIe x16 riser and shift the graphics card to fit my desktop?
or
Would you reccomend me finding another build to work off on?
with a budget of $250 to $300. probably start from scratch with a used motherboard, cpu, ram, and psu, instead of buying a prebuilt system.

I've put ITX cards in Micro BTX with some trimming of the cover and the bracket. Caps can be laid down using short wires to extend the legs. I haven't done a 755 though. 95W CPU limit kills the fun.
Dell T3500 w3690 12Gb RAM would be a good start. Dual GPU support. Aftermarket PSU fits.
Or go mainstream ATX.

Solution