Is i7-2600 still worth it?

mvn_x4

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Hi guys, I'm curious if these processors are still worth to get relative to my current AMD A8 6600K setup.

I'm thinking of getting one with a motherboard (OEM) and a stick of 4GB DDR3 for a total of at least $260 NZD. I don't exactly have the deepest of pockets, but would you guys recommend me doing an upgrade to this considering that the i7 2600 is an older processor and its price tag?

I do 1680x1050 gaming with an R9 270X, and I usually play TF2 which causes my CPU to be unable to keep up. I also plan to do minor video editing for learning and YouTube purposes.

Thank you

Solution
I wouldn't say the return is going to be worth the investment. Ride it out a bit longer and save up some additional money for what you really want and then make the buy. It's always better to buy nice rather than buying twice.

Good luck.
I'd advise against it mate honestly.
If you already had a board etc & were running a sandy/ivy i3 etc already it would be a good upgrade.

I would most definitely not buy a board & CPU bundle nowadays though from that era.
You will really struggle with replacements if anything ever goes , especially the motherboard which I'm assuming is second hand anyway.

I wouldn't say the return is going to be worth the investment. Ride it out a bit longer and save up some additional money for what you really want and then make the buy. It's always better to buy nice rather than buying twice.

Good luck.

Solution

mvn_x4

Reputable
May 29, 2014

I think you guys are right. I guess I'm thinking too much on trying to achieve higher frame rates for this old game.

Thank you for your quick responses and advice, and for saving me a few hundred $$$! :)