i7 7700 GPU Recommendations?

Solution

That is a very good choice.

Nice build.

Kangaroo2K1

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

Done, is the EVGA Supernova GS 550W decent? Also, a lot of items within my original list have changed, if you could take a peek that'd be appreciated

You have to admit, it IS a bit eyebrow raising when someone is investing $400 in CPU and motherboard but buying a Coolmax to power it. That EVGA is very nice though. As to videocard, what's the budget? CSGO will run fine on something low end like a GTX 1050. What resolution is your monitor going to be?

Kangaroo2K1

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

I'm planning on 1080p and after a few review sites (including Tom's) I've found that either a Radeon 480 or a GTX 1060 6GB is the best for 1080, and good for 1440. As for budget, I want the project to cost less than the equivalent specs in a prebuilt machine, although I've had to expand my budget a bit to level the graphics to accommodate an Intel i7, and make changes based off of user feedback, but there isn't a set in stone value yet. I'll build a reasonable machine, and then work on budgeting the funds. I also want to make the big investment once, as opposed to buying something decent, and then spending more money on an upgrade down the road. In case the old link doesn't show the changes, here's a new one: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kangaroo2K1/saved/QXfkLk
And here's one of the articles I saw, is the GTX 1060 6GB the best when it's NVIDIA's, or just the GTX model in general? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

+Kangaroo2K1 I suggest that you purchase two 16 GB DIMM kid instead of four 8 GB DIMM kit. This way, you'll have the option to upgrade beyond 32 GB in the future. Also, your motherboard is dual channel, so there is no advantage to selecting four chips instead of two.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
$224.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236023

Personally I'd prefer installing a M.2 2280 form factor SSD directly onto the motherboard, instead of running a SATA cable to the more traditional 2.5" drive. The performance and price would be the same, but it makes for a cleaner looking build, if you care about such things. Also, if your case supports mounting 2.5" drives behind the motherboard tray, you could switch the hard drive from the 3.5" Western Digital for a Hitachi (aka HGST) 2.5" TravelStar (9.5mm height). Your case is very inexpensive, so it's entirely possible that you can mount drives back there, which means you'd be better sticking with the 3.5" drive. These last two ideas are fluff and just throwing ideas at you. Regardless, your build already looks good.

Kangaroo2K1

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

As far as I've heard you never mix RAM even if it is the same exact model/make/speed. If you're buying RAM you buy it all at once, since there's no guarantee mixing will work. It's like a lottery. I'd love to buy big all at once, but I'm afraid of spending too much, and having the next generation of RAM or CPU outperforming the top-of-the-line stuff I plan to buy now, and the standards rising and coming quick, leaving me in the dust.

• - For a processor, games recommend an i5 or better with >2.5 GHz, but Autodesk recommends an i7 with >3 GHz. For the complex assemblies (>1000 parts) they recommend >3.3GHz. I'd love a quad core i7 with hyper threading, so it's like 8 cores, as opposed to an i5 (7600) which doesn't have hyperthreading so it's 4 cores.
    - Also, I'd like a GPU rated best for 1080p displays, since I'm not sure how good 1440p is or if it's even worth the fuss
    - And with memory in my mind the more the better, but most games require 4/8GB and recommend 8/16GB. Autodesk recommends 16GB, but 20 GB for large, 1000 part assemblies, which I don't intend working on, but the extra "wiggle" room sounds nice.
At what point does the cost exceed the value of the faster/better model? Again, I'd love to go big and buy more than what I need so I have space to grow into, but I'm afraid the next generation will come and leave m in the dust with all of this expensive, last-gen hardware. What would you do in my situation for hardware? My current build is also linked above in the original post

Honestly, in your situation I'd create an additional message thread on one of the Autodesk forums:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Discussions-Page

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community

My guess is that you're currently a student or 3D modeling enthusiast, otherwise you'd probably already have an appropriate build. For specialized use software, such as any Autodesk software, I'd seek advice on generalized forums such as this one, as well as the forums of people who use the software day-to-day professionally.

AMD Ryzen CPUs have been released and Intel CPU prices have been cut in response. I would take mental stock of what your precise budget is, and then research and determine where those resources are best spent in your build: CPU performance, memory size, storage capacity and performance. I personally like Hitachi (HGST) drives because they have the highest reliability on the market. I'd also take a hard look at the specs of your current computer. Can any of those components be used in your new build, or can they be sold to supplement your new computer budget? Download the trial of whichever Autodesk software you plan to use and see where the performance most lacks.

Memory: I've heard that belief as well. Matter-of-fact, I bought my 64 GB kit with such a belief in mind. However I've always suspected that it's more an issue for extreme overclocking, which you're clearly not doing any. I've added extra RAM to production ESXi servers, as well as physical Exchange (email) servers, and I've never had an issue; at least not due to any RAM incompatibility. I'm not an expert on RAM, so if anyone cares to correct me, I'd happily be corrected.