Solved

Running games on an HDD while using an SSD

Hello everyone.
I recently got a 480 gb SSD for my operating system and any other apps or games I want a quick response from. I got my OS running fine and I got steam on the SSD. But, I'm wondering is there a way to keep some of my games on my SSD and some of them on my HDD but still be able to play them all?
I'm also wondering if I can keep some apps on my HDD but still be able to use them.
Please let me know if you can help
Thanks
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about running games hdd ssd
  1. when you install the apps just set their install location as hdd, that is easy.

    As for steam, you can create a steam library in the options and have it located on the hdd. You can also move steam games if you want to - see here: https://www.howtogeek.com/269515/how-to-move-a-steam-game-to-another-drive-without-re-downloading-it/
  2. Colif said:
    when you install the apps just set their install location as hdd, that is easy.

    As for steam, you can create a steam library in the options and have it located on the hdd. You can also move steam games if you want to - see here: https://www.howtogeek.com/269515/how-to-move-a-steam-game-to-another-drive-without-re-downloading-it/

    how do I keep games on both hard drives and be able to access them on either one though? If I try and open a game that is on my HDD while I'm on my SSD it just prompts me to install it again.
  3. I didn't realise you had windows on both drives, i thought you were running it off the ssd and used hdd as storage

    was the hdd your original drive?
  4. Colif said:
    I didn't realise you had windows on both drives, i thought you were running it off the ssd and used hdd as storage

    was the hdd your original drive?

    I was using the HDD for awhile and I just upgraded to the SSD. My goal is to run on the ssd and use the hdd as storage. I want to be able to keep my favorite games on the ssd and my others on the hdd but steam doesn't see the games I have on my old hdd.
  5. Best answer
    On the ssd, if you point the steam clients library location at the hdd folder it will find the games (but you may need to take ownership of the steam folder before it can see the games: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/ )
  6. Colif said:
    On the ssd, if you point the steam clients library location at the hdd folder it will find the games (but you may need to take ownership of the steam folder before it can see the games: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/ )

    Thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Games Hard Drives