My RX 480 doesn't appear to be performing as well as it should

buddyzilla

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Just built my new PC with a XFX RX 480 8GB and a FX - 8350. When I play a game I can only do the lowest graphical settings or near it and still have my PC heat up tremendously. Any way I can fix this?

ASUS M5A99FX Pro
Corsair Rm850X 80+ Gold Modular
XFX GTR RX 480 8GB
AMD Black Edition FX - 8350
16 GB RAM
Running everything on a SSD (480 GB)
Two intake fan and one exhaust (One the intakes is on the side of the case)

Solution
'' my friend has the near same set up as mine and doesn't have the same problems.''

then test your card in his computer to eliminate that your new card is not a lemon ??? that card should run fine at most any setting intill it overheats and you say its not ???

its a power issue with the card or a driver issue with the card to me it sounds like its not getting to a full power state

good luck

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
FX8350 with what cooling it?

Typically side panel fans are intake to help cool GPUs.

Since you mention the lowest graphics settings (which may make things worse by the way), what programs are you running? What resolutions and settings? V-sync on or off?

How are you measuring temperatures?

Computers, particularly gaming computers, produce a lot of heat and you are probably in the 350-400W output range. Think 5 or 6 60watt light bulbs heat output concentrated where your exhaust fan is.

The issue is not the GPU...the issue is your case cooling is inadequate for cooling your setup. The FX 8350 is a hot CPU and is capable of dumping 125w of heat into your case...add that heat load to the GPU and your asking for trouble. The easiest way to determine if case ventilation is the issue is to pull the side panel off and point a room fan into the case...if everything works fine then you have your answer.

may see if you need a bios update that improves compatibility with these latest cards ?? then its not like them AMD builds as you got are known for running cool .

I guess see if a buddy got a strong gaming rig that will easy support that card and ask him to let you test the card in his ? may just got a lemon , if it all seems fine then have to look at something else

buddyzilla

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

I was wrong, side panel is indeed intake. I use MSI Afterburner and SpeedFan.

buddyzilla

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

What would your solution to be for adequate cooling be then?

so its getting hot the instant you start up ? should work correctly in till it ''overheats '' ?? then that should not affect the game settings anyway .

I would try to reseat the card in the slot and insure all the psu power leads are plugged in fully and correctly , all most sounds like its trying to run in a low power state . why I say you need to find a way to test the card in another system to insure that its not the card at issue

Mark H. review [in the one egg reviews ]

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150773&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

for all you know you may of got a card like his ??

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Still missing information on the CPU cooler and your expectations. Is the computer actually overheating?

If you turned down the graphics settings but still told the GPU to render as many frames as possible that can actually lead to even more heating as the CPU has to shove information into the GPU to produce all those frames.

Some games will fully tax an FX-8350 and that means a lot of heat. RX480 should be able to handle anything up to 1080p 60hz quite easily. So if you force V-sync on to get 60FPS at max settings in whatever game, what is the result?

Ideal cooling would be something like a large rifle cooler or AIO for the CPU. And good intake/exhaust for the axial cooled GPU. Depends a lot on the case where you can place fans.

Two front intakes+the side panel, and two exhaust fans is fairly ideal. Generally just want a little more intake than exhaust. But you also want filtered intakes, so occasionally a 3 filtered intake/2 unfiltered exhaust is a good option.

buddyzilla

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

The GPU or CPU doesn't "overheat" but it gets quite hot for doing tasks that were simple with my older build (R9 280x and a i5 4440)
I actually turned off v-sync on GTA V with high to ultra settings and it made things better than before (from 30 FPS to 60 FPS). There are only 3 slots for fans on my case and my friend has the near same set up as mine and doesn't have the same problems. I also just bout the Cryorig H7 for the CPU which should help the temperatures stay down inside.

'' my friend has the near same set up as mine and doesn't have the same problems.''

then test your card in his computer to eliminate that your new card is not a lemon ??? that card should run fine at most any setting intill it overheats and you say its not ???

its a power issue with the card or a driver issue with the card to me it sounds like its not getting to a full power state

good luck

Solution

buddyzilla

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Will attempt, thanks.