Will i3 2100 Be Sufficient for Streaming?

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I'm getting a 1050 ti in like a week, to help me game (obviously) and get better streaming. I am upgrading my CPU in about two months after that, though as i stream then will my old i3 step up for streaming? Or will it still be laggy as it always has been for streaming, and having the GPU make no difference, considering streaming is CPU-based

Solution
Many applications use Nvidia encoding technologies to make the graphics card render the stream instead of the CPU. However, the CPU still needs to feed the data to the graphics card.

Does using the graphics card to render reduce CPU load when steaming? Yes.

Will your CPU still hold you back to about 480p30 streaming? I would imagine.
Many applications use Nvidia encoding technologies to make the graphics card render the stream instead of the CPU. However, the CPU still needs to feed the data to the graphics card.

Does using the graphics card to render reduce CPU load when steaming? Yes.

Will your CPU still hold you back to about 480p30 streaming? I would imagine.

Solution

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

That sucks, i have a GT 630 DDR3 right now and it kills me to stream at 720p30.. i was thinking i could push things as far as 1080p60, guess i have to wait for that day, good to know i guess. No possible way i can run a decent 720p30 without lag though?

Mate you've only got four threads, only two of which are physical cores. If you could somewhat achieve 720p30 with your current graphics card, you may be able to get a slightly better stream out of the new one and some tinkering with a streaming program called OBS Studio. However, I doubt your stream will be completely stutter free at that resolution due to your massive CPU bottleneck.

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I have OBS, i only barely achieve 720p30 right now, i hope it's at least somewhat better. Do you have any cheap (used) cpu recommendations? baring in mind my mobo only supports 2nd/3rd gen intel cpu's, i was thinking of an i5 3300 or an i7 3770 :/

Anything with at least four physical cores (i5 or higher) that runs at a speed of at least 3GHz.

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Probably will pick up an i5 3330, (quadcore at 3.0-3.2ghz) also, i don't ahve NVENC as an option?

1) What version of OBS do you have? I recommend OBS Studio (formerly OBS Multiplatform).
2) Do you currently have an Nvidia graphics card installed with official Nvidia drivers? If not, your machine cannot use NVENC and that's why you don't have the option.

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I have OBS Studio, the latest version. I have an NVIDIA GT 630 DDR3 2GB, right now, and i installed all the proper drivers.

Would you mind trying some driver troubleshooting? It's not hard to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2ha3q9/howto_fresh_driver_install_for_new_gpu_or_any/

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I forgot that i reinstalled windows, i need to reinstall the driver right now. It's installing.

Sounds like something I'd do. :D

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Well, theres still a problem, it happened to me even before i installed windows, i have a feeling it's something to do with my GPU, i install the drivers, then after it changes resolution (to go black) as it install the new driver, when it wakes up from the black after around 2 seconds, it has a funny green screen, like a broken TV? Something like this: https://cdn.shutterstock.com/shutterstock/videos/1844074/thumb/1.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160) Then it did that for around 4 seconds, and i got no signal from the GPU. I let it install the drivers without me seeing anything for around 20 minutes, then rebooted the PC. I still have no codec. Have any fix?

Seen this plenty of times before. Graphics card is either damaged or is not seated correctly.

Please power the machine off, unplug it, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds so you don't get shocked, open it up and remove the graphics card from the motherboard. Look for obvious scratches or other damage on the PCIe connector on the card and on the board. If you don't see any, simply put it back in and hope it was just a bad connection.

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Just tried removing the GPU, can't find the latch?? Looked every little spot around the slot. Tried everything. I can't find the latch. My sister knows a friend that can probably do it for me if anything, :l

If the card is longer than the slot, it may be hiding under the card's cooler. A flashlight may help.

I fixed the spelling of flashlight... Hopefully nobody reported me for profanity... Whoops.

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Will try to check it out again, thanks. Didn't see that mistake with flashlight, lol

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

well i managed to finally take it out after like half an hour of frustration and almost throwing the computer, i checked out the pcie connector and it looked perfectly fine, no scratches, motherboard also looks perfectly fine, not sure

If it was damaged, the signs would be rather obvious. Things like the slot being loose on the board, cracks near the slot, or scars near the slot would all indicate damage to the PCIe slot on the board.

As for the card, if there's no major gouges in it, it's likely fine.

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Yeah, probably no damage. Not really a big worry to me anyway, the 1050 will be in my system in a week or so now. Though i found what exactly was holding me back, my CPU was running at 100C+, i had never known. I only realized just now when i went to clean the fan the thermal paste was void, nothing. My CPU cooler was also damaged, and loose. So i bought a new one, thermal paste and it's running at 30C idle, and 49C max at load. Much better! Also playing minecraft, used to get some stutters there and there, wondering why as my cpu was enough for minecraft, now i know. Perfectly smooth now, at a max of 49c.

So your CPU was thermal throttling. I should have started with basic hardware diagnostics then... Oh well.

Doing it by yourself, you leaning something this time, right? :)

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Yeah, was thermal throttling. I'm surprised the system didn't shut off for safety when it went over 100C though, i was probably streaming at 110C+, (really unsafe) Also did a stream test after i fixed the cooling issue, didn't go so well to be really honest, i saw little to no difference. Though streaming in 1080p was better then 720p (putting more load on GPU i'm guessing) Do you think the quad-core i'm getting will fix this issue completely? would hope the i5 does the job.

Daniel_418

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Also i have no option for the nvidia codec as my GPU isn't kepler, is the 1050 ti kepler? i hope so.

1050 ti is Pascal. Pascal is newer than Kepler and includes the instruction sets necessary for Nvidia hardware encoding. You know... The ones first introduced with Kepler.