2017 cheap 360 or PS3 equivalent PC

eSwizzy

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Welp, it's 2017 and I'm looking to create a PS3 or Xbox 360 equivalent PC.

For less than 200 bucks.

Like, the cheapest of cheap. Just not so cheap that it fries the motherboard (no cheap PSUs!). I literally don't care if it's upgradeable. It can be based on dead tech as far as I'm concerned (i.e. AM3+)

Last gen games are all I'm really worried about. Just looking for something as cheap as possible that will be at BEST graphically equivalent to last gen consoles, but won't look so crappy it's not enjoyable. Visually, I'm looking for like, 720p at a silky smooth 30 fps with AA disabled and view distance set to max on Skyrim.

I understand how the components of a PC work no prob, but I've never built a PC before and it seems like the market is oversaturated with hundreds of parts. Right now, I'm leaning toward buying a decent-ish, older APU and not even bothering with a graphics card. The image at this link inspired me: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-7850k-a8-7600-kaveri,3725-7.html

I'll cut corners everywhere except the PSU.

The PC will not be used for anything but gaming, but I want to build it instead of just buying an old 360. #pcmasterrace lol

Does anybody have a Xbox 360/PS3 era Steam Box type build in mind that's just super affordable?

genthug

Honorable
A good quality (by "good" I simply mean something that won't fry your PC) PSU is easily going to eat 1/4 of that budget. And on top of that, RAM prices have just gone up, and good luck finding used RAM. Simply a PSU that will not fry your machine, and 8GB of RAM is going to be $100. You're leaving $100 for a: CPU, case, motherboard, OS.

Where you're looking to game on it, even just at 720p with Skyrim, you're going to need either (as you stated) an APU, or a newer gen Intel chip with HD 620/630 in it to even look towards that.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xWrLD
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xWrLD/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($11.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI A68HM-E33 V2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.70 @ Amazon)
Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Other: A10-5800k ($57.48)
Other: MSI A68HM-E33 V2 mATX ($30.00)
Other: WD Caviar Blue 320GB 7200RPM ($17.00)
Total: $223.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-02 03:26 EST-0500

This is what I could come with from looking around on eBay. The CPU, motherboard, and HDD are all used. The PSU is not of fantastic quality but it will not murder your PC.

Note, this does not include a keyboard, mouse, mousepad, headset or speaker equivalent, or most importantly, an OS.

eSwizzy

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

-- Thanks genthug! Great recommendations. I've been searching the net for a couple of days now and I didn't come up with something nearly as budget-friendly as what you listed. I've come to the conclusion that I need to up my budget to $300, as I don't trust used parts.

Also, I'm probably going to get a 128 GB SSD and just uninstall games as it gets full; I tend to only play one or two single-player games at a time anyway, and I don't really go back and play games I've already played through. Not much of an online gamer.

I have a keyboard, mouse, headset, and OS, and even a monitor. All I really need is the machine. Right now it seems like the A8 7600 might be a decent choice, but I'm not sure as I have never used an APU before. Some people think APUs are the bomb, and other people think they're a total waste of money. Do you think a used A10-5800 or A10-7870k would be a better choice than a new A8-7600? I mean clearly they're going to be better, in general, but I really don't want any used electronics. Honestly, I've seen quite a lot of people recommending to use a Pentium processor and a 750 Ti or something of that nature. Used to have a Pentium PC and it was junk, but I realize they've come a long way since I had that old thing, haha.Thanks again for the quick response!