1700 vs i7 7700k for CAD

garrryyy

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I want to build a new pc and could not decide, which cpu to buy. I want to use it mainly for Autocad Architecture.(2d/3d) Mainly drawing small buildings and also very little for cinema 4d rendering,
I am deciding between the i7 7700k and the ryzen 1700.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-9.html
The autocad benchmarks in this review showed that, the i7 is outperforming the ryzen in autocad.
So for my main purpose, is it a good idea to take the i7, because the autocad performance is better? Do you think that the difference in autocad is noticeable big time or should i take the ryzen for the better multicore performance and hope that autocad will take advantage of the multicore performance in the future?

Solution
They are both good cpus. You will only be seeing performance boosts with Ryzen 7 in rendering but I would render over the gpu not the cpu, The i7 is better for running it, editing, building, ect. So I would go with the i7 if you will be doing rendering on a gpu, If you will be doing rendering on the cpu than Ryzen 7.

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015
For existing Autocad releases they do not support multi-thread systems very well. See the knowledge base document below. However there is definitely great chance that such will be improved in future releases. So if you go for ryzen now for Autocad only, you will take a performance hit now but may benefit from the multi-thread capability in the future.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Multithreading-or-multiprocessor-capabilities.html

garrryyy

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
thank you for your advice chugalug, but what about a gpu ? wouldnt it make sense to take the 1700 instead of the 1800x and get a good graphics card?

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I would recommend getting ryzen 1700 or 1700x instead of 1800x. 1800x is $170 USD more expensive than 1700 but the performance difference can be compensated by simple overclocking or just let the XFR do the trick.

With the spared money, you can invest on some workstation graphics card like nvidia quadro or amd radeon pro to accelerate your rendering.

Problem is the first decent quadro cards start at 415 Euros.

As mentioned just now, given you're not working with any 4k content, a standard GPU wouldn't do much for you.
You'd need a quadro card, the first ones that make any difference start at 415 Euros, which is going to be a stretch to fit in, i'll give it a try but it might not end out optimal, and if I shrink to 16GB of RAM performance will probably decrease compared to the first one.

tonybstc

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I am not familiar with the price of professional graphics card. However even getting a standard graphics like geforce 1050 or radeon 470 would be beneficial to the renderings as those applications support gpu acceleration. Moreover it is a must to get a graphics for ryzen 7 as it does not include igpu.

Google the difference betweeen workstation and gaming cards, they have different features enabled and error correction.

A lot of people are torn over choosing between quadro and GTX cards for CAD, because you get so much more performance per dollar with GTX but the stability of rendering very large projects can be a lot better with quadro. Depends on your specific case, if your projects aren't massive then you can probably get away with a GTX card, but most people like to just play it safe with quadro. Up to you, you can always return something if it isn't working for you.

Dynomite54

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
They are both good cpus. You will only be seeing performance boosts with Ryzen 7 in rendering but I would render over the gpu not the cpu, The i7 is better for running it, editing, building, ect. So I would go with the i7 if you will be doing rendering on a gpu, If you will be doing rendering on the cpu than Ryzen 7.

Solution