If I got a $10000 desktop, what should I try to learn? Programming? Animating? Short films?

BuzzCut_

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
So I've really been considering to start to save up to get a 10000 dollar PC. It then I though, what can I learn/Do that I could get the most out of it. I came up with some ideas such as learning After Effects, Premiere Pro and Photoshop more in depth, learn to program in languages I didn't learn before, play games in 4K, filmmaking, 3D animation. But the part that I was wondering was what can I do to use this to its full potential. Sorry if this sounds like I'm rambling, it's really late at night. Lol.

Solution
I built my pc for slightly less than $600 primarily from ebay parts and there's nothing out there I can't run. The only difference between my pc and a $10k monster is the speeds at which results can be had. You'd be able to shave 15 mins off a 1 hr render, I'll go smoke a cigarette.

Put your money into education first, then you'll know what you need in a pc and not just a $ amount.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
You can do everything you listed less than half that price.

My PC is about 1500-1600 CAD and i can run anything i please. Do you not assume you need to spend big money to get good performance.

You could learn to budget yourself better. : P

Really, I can't think of any normal situation where someone would need to spend much more than $2,000 on a desktop computer, unless they had some very specific business-related need for specialized hardware (assuming we're talking US dollars here). For programming, you might not want something excessively powerful anyway, since you might have a harder time determining whether the software would run well on other computers. Really, If you could even figure out how to fit $10,000 worth of components in a single computer, I doubt you would be able to use it "to it's full potential", and it probably wouldn't be any more useful to you than a computer built for under $2000.

Also, a faster computer isn't necessarily going to make you any better at animating, filmmaking, programming or so on. If you were into those fields, you'd probably be better off spending money on other devices related to those things anyway. Like a good camera, or a Cintiq graphics tablet, or maybe a vehicle of some sort.

USAFRet

Titan
Programming? I can do that on a 7 year old laptop that cost $350 when it was new.
Animation? My grandson does that on his phone and a free app.
Video? People make full length movies with an iPhone and open source software.

The PC hardware is of little consequence.
What comes out of your brain and fingers is far more important.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I built my pc for slightly less than $600 primarily from ebay parts and there's nothing out there I can't run. The only difference between my pc and a $10k monster is the speeds at which results can be had. You'd be able to shave 15 mins off a 1 hr render, I'll go smoke a cigarette.

Put your money into education first, then you'll know what you need in a pc and not just a $ amount.

Solution

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Programming can be done on very old computers, unless your planning on doing modern OpenGL which might require some newer hardware, but it should still not need high performance components at all. A programming computer can easily be bought for $400 - 800.

I don't do animating myself, but this will probably require some more expensive parts to get a decent rendering time however I highly doubt you'll need a pc that costs more than $3000. For most rending my $1700 computer does just fine.

I honestly doubt that you will need a computer over the $2500 mark, but then again I'm not entirely sure how much rendering takes on the GPU and CPU, nor do I know what sort of rendering you'll be doing.

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

Learning the things he listed can be done for free, all you need is the internet.
And most paid education sites online are usually pretty cheap.
At least, that's what I did and it worked perfectly fine. At least for hobby which I'm assuming this guy will use it for.

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

A lot of programmers are creative as well.
And you don't have to be a nerd to do programming :(

Androguff

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

You should have said "A lot of programmers are creative as hell" . I do agree with you :p

MeesterYellow

Honorable
Jan 12, 2017

Yeah, as a programmer myself, I can say that there are so many ways to write a program. There are also many ways to add to your program too to make it unique.

Creative minds can go into both programming and animation. :O