RX 470 goes black screen and no signal when gaming

lukos124

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Hi. I have problem with my new card which I bought 2 weeks ago. When I'm playing games, screen randomly turns black and then my monitor shows me "No signal".
It doesn't matter what game I play. It can be League of Legends on low settings or Watch Dogs 2 on ultra. Sometimes screen goes black after 5 seconds of playing but the other time after 15 minutes.
I've tasted it in many games and in all i have this problem. Black screen only shows when playing games. When I'm watching films or using browser, everything is good.
When the black screen happens, only option I have is to turn off and on my PC. ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+DELETE are not working. Unpluging and pluging HDMI cabble either.
Fans work correctly, temps are at 40-65C.
Trough the first week of using, my card was working fine. Maybe because I had installed older drivers(without ReLive). Unfortunately, on older drivers I had diffrent problem, my card was throtling and dropping clocks to 300mhz. That was happening even on 60C.

Do not know where the problem lies.

I'm using the latest version of drivers(17.1.2) and I have plugged my video card to monitor by HDMI.

EDIT 1: I've installed older version of drivers(16.11.5). I still get black screens but not as often as before. Oh, and on older version of drivers, black screen jumps more randomly. Like, on Relive I got black screens when I played any game. Doesn't matter if it was League of Legends on low settings or Watch Dogs 2 on High. Black screen just shown always.
Now I've played For Honor Open Beta on high/medium settings for something around 5 hours and not black screens at all. Few days after this I installed old Far Cry 3 to go through the game again and got instant black screen at first cut scene. Now black screens are totally random. Black screen happend again today when I tried to play Ghost Recon Wildlands Beta. I could watch all starting cut scene but when time to take control on the character came, I got instant black screen.
Someone found something new about this problem? Any solution?

My PC:
Intel I5-6600K 3.5ghz
Asus RX 470 STRIX 4GB
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
SilentiumPC Deus D1 500W
Windows 10 64bit
BenQ GL2460HM 1920x1080 @60Hz Monitor is connected to graphic card by HDMI

Solution
1. GPU giving Resolution and refresh rate might be out of sync with Monitor (reduce the refresh rate and try)
2. Could be Monitor Issue (plug any other monitor and try)
3. Test with any other GPU or iGPU and see if the problem still exist
4. Try uninstalling the graphics drivers and install stable drivers
5. Change the OS and try
6. Change the cable if you have

If all the above fails, then could be hardware issue, if it is, still you have some options
1. Change the Graphics card to another PCI-X slot. If you do not have another slot, clean it and re-fix it (Clean both Graphics card and PCIX slot)
2. Change the mode of signal, like, if you are using HDMI, then change to DVI or vice versa

Finally see windows eventviewer (eventvwr) and...

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
1. GPU giving Resolution and refresh rate might be out of sync with Monitor (reduce the refresh rate and try)
2. Could be Monitor Issue (plug any other monitor and try)
3. Test with any other GPU or iGPU and see if the problem still exist
4. Try uninstalling the graphics drivers and install stable drivers
5. Change the OS and try
6. Change the cable if you have

If all the above fails, then could be hardware issue, if it is, still you have some options
1. Change the Graphics card to another PCI-X slot. If you do not have another slot, clean it and re-fix it (Clean both Graphics card and PCIX slot)
2. Change the mode of signal, like, if you are using HDMI, then change to DVI or vice versa

Finally see windows eventviewer (eventvwr) and see the graphics related errors and see if you find anything

Solution

Nick_218

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
i had the exact same problem but these are the things that i did to fix it

From msi afterburner settings, reset to default settings, set fan speed to automatic, enable user defined fan settings to 25C with 40% fan settings, set power limit to -15C

And then the most important step after that:
Make sure not to screw the gpu too tight (might sound stupid, but trust me)
make sure the screw is 50/50 with the case and the gpu