RX 470 with i5 3470 and 450w PSU ?

ColopiX

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
I'm currently using Gigabyte GTX 960IX-OC with 2GB of VRAM.I have tried new games like Watch Dogs 2,Forza Horizon 3,Far Cry Primal and i noticed that 2gb of vram its not enough to run these games.In Forza even on low settings 1080p i get huge lags and the gpu its not even 100% because the vram usage is full...the fps are locked to 30 and still dropping on moments to 15-0fps in Forza.

Now i want to sell my GTX 960 and get some money to buy RX470 4GB.Im worried because my cpu is 5 years old and in some games (Cities skylines,FH3,Battlefield 3/4) its going up to 90-100% usage.Will i5-3470 work with RX470 without big bottleneck in newer games ? and is 4GB of VRAM enough?
-IM NOT planning to play games on higher resolution than 1080p 60Hz !
-I would like at least to get 60(30)fps on med/high settings.

PC Specifications:
CPU: i5-3470 3.2GHz-Deepcool Gamax 200T
MB: Foxcon H61MXE-V
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz-Upgrating to 16GB soon.
GPU: GTX 960 2GB
HDD: 2x 500GB and DVD/RW
PSU: Antec VP450-P (450W Real Power)

Can my psu (ANTEC VP450P) power the RX470 ?
My PSU only has 1x6pin power connector and i want to buy the Asus Strix RX470 because of the 6pin connector.I know that the Strix version is less powerful than other RX470 and i will lose 5/10fps in games.

1-Upgrade GPU (RX470) and RAM (DDDR3 16GB)?
2-Sell everything and buy new pc in future?

Solution
The 960 is similar to the 1050 Ti, so it's like you're going from a 1050 Ti to an RX 470. If someone asked me if a 1050 Ti to RX 470 was a good upgrade I'd say no, it's too close.

However, in your case you are also going from a 2gb card to a 4gb card. That's worth counting towards deciding if it's worth it or not. You will have much more flexibility in what settings you can choose, even if framerate isn't improved that much. Also, your CPU is still a pretty good performer and you would be able to take advantage of the extra videocard performance.

I also would not buy more memory at this point. If you were at 4gb, yeah buy more. At 8gb though it's not a good idea. It is smart to make sure the card you choose uses the connector you...
You should be fine with the 450W PSU and there shouldn't be a massive issue with CPU bottlenecking in most games (Watch Dogs 2 and GTA V will be the worst). The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that this isn't TOO much of an upgrade apart from the VRAM, but if you need more you need more. I'd save your money rather than buying 8GB more of DDR3, you won't be able to use it in your next build.

The 960 is similar to the 1050 Ti, so it's like you're going from a 1050 Ti to an RX 470. If someone asked me if a 1050 Ti to RX 470 was a good upgrade I'd say no, it's too close.

However, in your case you are also going from a 2gb card to a 4gb card. That's worth counting towards deciding if it's worth it or not. You will have much more flexibility in what settings you can choose, even if framerate isn't improved that much. Also, your CPU is still a pretty good performer and you would be able to take advantage of the extra videocard performance.

I also would not buy more memory at this point. If you were at 4gb, yeah buy more. At 8gb though it's not a good idea. It is smart to make sure the card you choose uses the connector you have. That's far more important than if another 470 gets you a few extra frames here and there. Finally, some games are not optimized all that well, so don't be surprised if performance isn't great on every game. Watch Dogs 2 might fall in this category.

Solution

ColopiX

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014

Ok, i will not spend money on ram.