Will 2 RX 480 8GB bottleneck a i5-6600k?

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I'm triying to do my first gaming PC and I would like to know if 2 RX480 8GB GAMING X from MSI will bottleneck my i5-660k. And a PSU to handle both. Thanks!

Solution
Yeah that should be fine.

No not really, you wrote it as you were getting 2x the vram at half the price, which has caused the confusion for everyone, because thats not a benefit as each cards vram has to be mirrored to the other, so you only really get 8gb usable.

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I don't really like the 1070. Plus I can get x2 the VRAM at half the price. Tho the 1070 is great (I have a friend that has it alongside with the 6700k, i don't see the point of it). I want to game at 1080p (my gaming monitor res.), in GTA V, Hitman, Doom, CS:GO, Hired Ops, Line of Sight and tons of games. I would like to achieve FPS in the range of 100-200. Not that my "gaming monitor" is my LG LCD 1080P FHD @60Hz 5ms. And I just want them because my current PC is a Packard Bell TE69KB Series with the E1-2500 2Core Essentials 1.4GHz with a 8240HD iGPU 512mb. Crappy PC for what i want to do.

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
The problem is, I'm portuguese. You might need the following website to check PSU's
https://www.globaldata.pt/shop/fonte-de-alimentac-o.html

In the left side there are some filters. Max I can spend in a PSU would be probably 120/150€. If you use Translator, you can understand most of that website content. And I'll just get one RX for a while. When I have extra 250€ I'll get another. I already know what MoBo to use: MSI Z170A PC Mate. It only supports XFire so it's absolutely perfect for what I want. I'll also get MSI Gaming X RX480's with 8GB each. For me this is the perfect investment, because then I can embarass my friend. He's always like: <When you have 8GB GDDR5 come and talk with me>. I absolutely hate those comments. I might have a crap PC but if I had more money I would be the one saying that. Also I'm no AMD/NVIDIA fanboy, I just get what best. I'm still getting the money because my setting will cost around 1200/1400€.

BTW thanks for all the help dude! :)

harrisjb78

Notable
Mar 5, 2017
https://www.globaldata.pt/shop/xfx/fonte-xfx-ts-650w-80-gold.html
https://www.globaldata.pt/shop/xfx/fonte-xfx-ts-750w-80-bronze.html
https://www.globaldata.pt/shop/seasonic/fonte-seasonic-m12ii-750w-evo-edition-80-bronze.html
https://www.globaldata.pt/shop/corsair/fonte-corsair-modular-rm750x-80-gold.html
https://www.globaldata.pt/shop/seasonic/fonte-semi-modular-seasonic-g-series-750w-80-gold.html

I have the m12ii, the G series is the newer Seasonic model. The XFX units are also really good as is the Corsair model I put.
I would no go for a different series Corsair (CX, CS).

You don't get twice the VRAM. 2x480 8Gb's in crossfire will operate like an 8gb card, not 16gb. In crossfire VRAM does not add. I'd get a single stronger card and avoid all the problems of multi card setups and get much better performance in games that don't support crossfire or support it poorly.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you are not going to get twice the vram

you dont add the amount from both cards together

CF = 8gb only

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I don't mean x2 the VRAM for games. I'm counting the total VRAM. C'mon. Everyone here knows simple maths, right? 8x2=16! Was it that hard? And yes, I know that I might have some problems with Dual Graphics Setup, and it won't bring any extra performance except for like 5-10fps extra. Besides, here in Portugal 2 RX480 8GB are cheaper than 1 single 1070. Please, next time before doing such comments, think twice. Like I said above, I'm counting with the total VRAM. Also I was thinking in obtaining a XFX XXX Edition 750W. But I saw some reviews and when it's in load, the ADDA fan spins at ~1650rpm. Is it too loud? Besides the noise it's a very good PSU. 2nd edit [OMFG]: BTW @harrisjb78 I like your 4th PSU choice. I might go with that one. Thanks for all the help. Tho I won't be choosing the correct answer yet. I might wait another 1/2 days to see. Thanks guys. Tomshardware rocks!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Whats the point in counting the total vram when each card has to mirror the other? You still only get 8gb of usable space because of that.

But yeah the 6600k will bottleneck two rx 480 in crossfire, when they are working well in a game that supports crossfire.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

it's not simple math when you dont add up vram

with dual 8gb cards in CF all you get is 8gb TOTAL

next time you make such comments do some research and think twice before you try to sound like you know what you are talking about

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Please dude, are you dumb or what? I'M NOT SAYING THAT I WILL HAVE 16GB TOTAL FOR GAMING! I'M TRYING TO SAY THAT 2X8=16GB. I know I won't have 16gb available for gaming. C'mon. Rob here the 1060 6gb is ~370€. Do you recommend the RX or should I spend a little bit more to get the 1060?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

If its much cheaper, get the RX 480 8gb, performance is basically the same between the two.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah that should be fine.

No not really, you wrote it as you were getting 2x the vram at half the price, which has caused the confusion for everyone, because thats not a benefit as each cards vram has to be mirrored to the other, so you only really get 8gb usable.

Solution

Juho_1

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

Because 2 rx 480 is as powerful as 1080... And its cheaper than single 1070... educate yourself pls.... And btw nowadays more games will support Crossfire and AMD has gotten really much better with drivers so...

Juho_1

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Can i ask you why 6700k and not Ryzen 5 1600x? 1600x has 2 cores and 4 threads more and much faster multicore performance and it's much cheaper. Single-core speed is little bit better than Intel due to last BIOS updates and due to BIOS updates Ryzen has become very stable. Ryzen's gaming performance raised over 30% in first optimized game and it passed Intel. #RedTeam #Not_AMD_Fanboy_But_I'm_a_Realist_:D

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Yeah I'm updating it mate.
-AMD Ryzen R5-1600X/Regular (IDK what to choose);
-KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 8GB 2400MHZ DDR4;
-MSI B350 TOMAHAWK;
-RX480 ASUS ROG STRIX 8GB;
-SEASONIC S12II;
-CM MASTERLIQUID 240 LIQUID COOLER;
-WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB 64MB 7200RPM.

This will be my final build (I think).

Juho_1

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Looks good! I would maybe throw couple bucks more and upgrade Ram to 2666mhz cause Ryzen benefits really much from from the Ram. But otherwise looks very good! :)