i3 6100 / FX 6300 for 70% Desktop multiple program use at the same time and 30% gaming.

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Hello guys, I hope you can help me. I have to say, I really need help now because I am researching every benchmark and forum post for multiple days now and I can not decide at all. I build a new pc last week and still I am jumping between an AMD FX6300/8300 or Intel i3 6100. This is price wise my absoloute limit. What I am mostly doing with my computer is like: Using skype, surfing in the web, watching a video all at the same time. Which is for me "multitasking" and therefore it pulls me towards AMD FX since the common sense is, they would be better for multitasking. Due to gaming, I can say that I do not play much nor do I want to play newest games at high detail. But I really play a lot CSGO and thats pretty much it. All in all, I do not want to buy a new cpu within the next 2-3 years since I only do the stuff with it, that I described. On one hand I think that intel and even the i3 only, has such a high reputation and everyone says: its better...so that I think it might be the right choice. But then I think, what if in the next 1-2 years I need more cores for doing my stuff, maybe because the different programs just require more cores or I dont know what.... I know I should go towards i5 but I wont go there, because its too expensive. Oh and due to the motherboard, I have two on my list for both amd or intel which end up beeing pretty much the same. So its just really only about the CPU. I hope you can help me make my decision with objective help. I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks! - Max

EDIT: I think I have to say it again to make it more clear. I know that the i3 6100 will defentley beat in most cases the FX due to gaming. So if it would be only that, it would be clear. But my concerns go towards the desktop use such as using multiple programs at once. The normal stuff. Surfing with a few tabs open, having a video running in the background from youtube, also skype with a friend at the same time and then maybe open a folder on the pc to send him a picture on skype. I guess you know what I mean. For me this is multitasking and so I think the higher thread count beats in this scenario the better single core performance of the i3. OR I am just seeing it the wrong way and what I described isnt even multitasking? Due to all what I described, what CPU from my chosen one, gets me through 2-3 years with the best performance? Thanks again. :)

Solution

If you are looking for a budget productivity rig I would really recommend you wait for the rest of the ryzen cpu's. If not then I would also recommend the i3. The fx 6300/8300 are 5 year old cpu's on a 5 year old platform with no upgrade path, the i3 will outperform both in the majority of games and...

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
And why? Could you go a little bit more into detail? Because while I was kept going the last few minutes, to read about these CPUs in this forum...I found a lot poeple saying the i3 would be better for Gaming and LIGHT desktop use, while the FX would be better for pretty much the opposite, as in light gaming and harder desktop use. Am I wrong? I really put a lot more focus on the productivty rather than the gaming performance alone.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

If you are looking for a budget productivity rig I would really recommend you wait for the rest of the ryzen cpu's. If not then I would also recommend the i3. The fx 6300/8300 are 5 year old cpu's on a 5 year old platform with no upgrade path, the i3 will outperform both in the majority of games and they fare better in many productivity and multitasking work loads as well.

Solution

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
I can not wait for ryzen and I do not care at all about upgrade paths, since I said, it should last 2-3 years. Dont wanna sound stupid but I have to say it, I do not care about the age of the chipset as well. It can be 20 years old, if the FX will still do better over the run of 2-3 years, compared to the i3, then who cares. That it outpeforms when it comes to games, yea....i know. But due to the productivity and multitasking. You said in "many"... can you give me examples where exactly the i3 is fare better than the FX and where the FX would be better in productivtiy and multitasking? ... Thanks for the answer by the way! :)