Will an i5 6500 be a bottleneck to a 1060 ti 6GB?

Solution
You are asking a question to which there is no definitive answer. Everything depends on the game. If you try to play Ashes of the Singularity, then yes, that i5 is gonna freak out. If you are playing Skyrim you'll max out the gpu long before you'll even get the cpu warm.

Most games the i5 will be fine, a few games really benefit from an i7, and a few games don't need anything more than an i3. With a 1060-6 you are probably using 1080p which will get ultra in many, even some 4k DSR, and the i5 will barely break a sweat.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are asking a question to which there is no definitive answer. Everything depends on the game. If you try to play Ashes of the Singularity, then yes, that i5 is gonna freak out. If you are playing Skyrim you'll max out the gpu long before you'll even get the cpu warm.

Most games the i5 will be fine, a few games really benefit from an i7, and a few games don't need anything more than an i3. With a 1060-6 you are probably using 1080p which will get ultra in many, even some 4k DSR, and the i5 will barely break a sweat.

Solution

Anthony_194

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
I agree. The i5 will be very suitable for most gaming scenarios. You'll get great gaming performance in most games at 1080p with very high settings. I wouldn't suggest getting the 6gb , personally unless you have the extra money or soon plan on upgrading to VR or, 1440p/4K gaming. Maybe see what games will benefit from the extra VRAM. I believe that 3GB is plenty for most games . Maybe even consider the RX 480 4GB . It performs very similarly and has some extra Memory. Ultimately I don't think the i5 6500 is a bottleneck for the 1060 at all. I think that CPU would pair nice with even a 1070.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd and nvidia vram don't compete head to head. While technically the 4Gb 480 has more vram than the 3gb 1060, it doesn't apply to apps. The 2 companies use the vram totally differently, nvidia being more effective than amd. For all intents and purposes, the cards have similar vram, as does the 6/8Gb versions.

There were more than a few games that'll tax vram, so much so that a few years ago a large stink was made about the last 500Mb on a gtx970 4Gb having adverse reactions when the vram limits were pushed. If you can, the 1060 6gb/480 8Gb is cheap insurance vrs their small brothers.