1155 Cooler w/1150?

Mat_1_

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
I have a stock CPU cooler from an intel i7 2600K (LGA 1155)

and i was curious if there would be any issues using it on a Asus H81M-A Motherboard with an i5 4460 processor (LGA 1150)?

anyone had any experience with this?

Solution
Yup, those coolers are pin compatible and I've done a similar thing with stock coolers in the past.

The only thing you really need to watch (and this isn't for you so much as it is for others who might see this thread in future), is that Intel sometimes bundles less able stock coolers with their lower power processors. On top of that, it can actually be quite difficult to find out the stock cooler type that a processor shipped with. In any case, strapping a cooler that shipped with a Pentium or i3 onto a higher TDP CPU would technically work, but may well result in high temps and thermal throttling because the anemic cooler isn't capable of handling the higher thermal loads.

In your case you're coming from a 95W i7 2600K, whose...
Yup, those coolers are pin compatible and I've done a similar thing with stock coolers in the past.

The only thing you really need to watch (and this isn't for you so much as it is for others who might see this thread in future), is that Intel sometimes bundles less able stock coolers with their lower power processors. On top of that, it can actually be quite difficult to find out the stock cooler type that a processor shipped with. In any case, strapping a cooler that shipped with a Pentium or i3 onto a higher TDP CPU would technically work, but may well result in high temps and thermal throttling because the anemic cooler isn't capable of handling the higher thermal loads.

In your case you're coming from a 95W i7 2600K, whose stock cooler should have no trouble handling the 84W i5 4460.

Solution