Solved

Wanting to upgrade my msata ssd to samsung evo 850 msata ssd

My current SSD is running out of space I've been wanting to upgrade to a new ssd. I currently have 2 extra msata slots and want to upgrade my current msata ssd to the samsung evo 850 1TB msata ssd.

My main question is would I need a msata to sata usb adapter to clone my os and data from my current ssd to the evo or can I just use one of the empty slots to do so or can I just use the extra slots?

Also, would you know if samsung migrate would be able to clone my os to the new ssd? looking forward to hearing from you and thank you for your time.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wanting upgrade msata ssd samsung evo 850 msata ssd
  1. You should be able to just connect the new device and use Samsung Migrate.

    But depending on your motherboard you may need to watch which SATA ports you are using and may need to make some bios changes to the onboard devices (for example ASUS shares the CPU lanes between mSATA and PCI Express and the latter is the default, so it needs to be changed, or in the case of MSI SATA ports 5-6 disable).
  2. Thank you for the response. I was wondering if you knew either a video or other thread that might help me out on making sure I'm installing the chip correctly cause I kind of dont want to just do something wrong and lose all my money ;(
    RealBeast said:
    You should be able to just connect the new device and use Samsung Migrate.

    But depending on your motherboard you may need to watch which SATA ports you are using and may need to make some bios changes to the onboard devices (for example ASUS shares the CPU lanes between mSATA and PCI Express and the latter is the default, so it needs to be changed, or in the case of MSI SATA ports 5-6 disable).
  3. What laptop brand and model do you have?
  4. Do you have an external drive, that can hold an image of your current mSata?
  5. Yeah, the thing is I got this computer from Japan so the brand and model number might not be of any use, but I was looking up online and it is quite similar to the MSI GT70 I think, but if you want the link to about my laptop info I can send it to you just need to google translate the page to English with chrome ;(
    RealBeast said:
    What laptop brand and model do you have?
  6. No I dont.
    Honestly i'm a complete noob at this, but I also do not want to spend a lot of money for someone to do this for me.
    USAFRet said:
    Do you have an external drive, that can hold an image of your current mSata?
  7. If the system actually has more than one msata port, you can probably do the clone thing without buying any extra stuff.

    Please verify it actually does have more than one msata port.
    Pictures, preferably.
  8. Heres a picture of the exact same model of my computer. its on the top left corner where it obviously states msata

    http://imgur.com/a/mfDvE

    USAFRet said:
    If the system actually has more than one msata port, you can probably do the clone thing without buying any extra stuff.

    Please verify it actually does have more than one msata port.
    Pictures, preferably.
  9. Best answer
    OK...
    If those ports actually run an mSATA drive, no problem.

    Put the new one in, and clone from the old drive to the new drive.
    Macrium Reflect should do this easily.
Ask a new question

Read More

Evo Samsung Storage Laptops SSD Memory Upgrade