PC (i5 6600, RX480) hard crashing every game to colour screen

grgkn

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
New gaming PC hard crashing every game to colour screen. I have a newly built PC (my first gaming PC so not very tech savvy):

i5 6600 Quad Core
ASUS DUAL-RX480-O8G (8GB)
Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H
8GB Crucial DDR4 RAM
EVGA White 600W PSU

I have searched everywhere for an answer. Tried fresh installing everything, Windows 10 (newest, pre-anniversary update too), complete reinstall of latest RX480 drivers using AMD's guide and other small tweaks.

The same thing happens on every game - hard crash after anywhere up to 1 minute, blank (often coloured screen), completely unresponsive PC. I have tried monitoring temps and stuff but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I don't even have to play the game for it to crash, i.e. GTA IV - I sit and watch as it eventually crashes my PC.

Seems like a lot of people have had this issue with the RX480 but nothing is working for me, I'm at a total loss here.

grgkn

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

I will try that and report back.

Sounds like a typical bad GPU crashes. There goes typical fix list: check different version of drivers, update motherboard BIOS, check your GPU in other comp and finally check different PSU.
Temps are not likely going to be problem when game crashes 1 min after start - not enough time to build up heat to the point it could do something bad to the card. So you are most likely facing GPU replacement.

grgkn

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

Could you recommend which versions of the drivers to check? I have tried a couple different ones but should I go back to much older ones? Mobo BIOS is up to date and I don't have another PC to check the GPU in or a different PSU.

I've contacted the PC builder to see what they say too.

Trisep

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
I had a similar problem with my r9 280x when swapping it to a new rig, turns out my card didnt like the newest driver available, try swapping t an older driver version, thats what fixed it for me. Also since its a new build check the card is properly seated in the MoBo and the power connectors and firmly in place