i7 4790 vs i5 6500

sopasis

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello to all,
Because i am a little bored nowadays i am start thinking upgrade my pc.(haha)
I already have a Skylake System with I5 6500, Gigabyte B150 and 8gb Gskill Ripjaws.
But i found a really good deal yesterday. A friend sell his unopened boxed I7 4790 non K for about 200euros, which has warranty until 2019.
Also i found some great deal of ram https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-KFJ-PM316LV-16G/dp/B00DVDSS48 they are two sticks, so we have 32GB DDR3L.
And i can buy a new 1150 H81 mobo for about 50euros.

In other words i can sell my Skylake set for 300euros put another 50 and grab the 4790 and of course 32GB of memory.
I care for gaming and pure power! I will take a 480 8gb later.
Give me your opinions!!!!

Solution

Youd gain more in the future having the latest technology.

Save your money and swap your CPU out for a 7700 some day, when you need it. It will be much faster than the 4790. On top of that most games barely use over 8gb, its gonna be a long time before you need 32gb or it does anything for you. And that ram is low voltage and slow, it may actually slow your whole system down.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thats a waste of money.

The platform you have now can support up to an i7-7700 which is the best gaming processor you could buy, why would you downgrade to an older model? Just to get 32gb of ram that you don't need? And slow ram at that, that may not even work with the board you want.

Warrantys on CPUs are worthless, they have like a 0.05% failure rate.

Keep what you have, update the BIOS, buy a 7700 and 16 more GB of ram if you want it some day.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Youd gain more in the future having the latest technology.

Save your money and swap your CPU out for a 7700 some day, when you need it. It will be much faster than the 4790. On top of that most games barely use over 8gb, its gonna be a long time before you need 32gb or it does anything for you. And that ram is low voltage and slow, it may actually slow your whole system down.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats your best bet. I'd wait on that motherboard, if you're gonna swap it out may as well get a Z170 or Z270, this way in the future you can buy a K processor and overclock.