i5 7600K
Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
2x8GB Gskill Trident-Z at 3000 MHz
Asus ROG Strix RX 480 8GB
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
NZXT S340 Elite + Hue+
NZXT Kraken X52 as liquid cooler
Evga 650W Supernova GQ Gold PSU

However, I am still waiting for delivery of PSU and Kraken cooler. I was thinking to build the rig by using my old 550W PSU and Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 air cooler. Yet, I am not sure the cooler with 1156 socket can be used on 1151 socket 7600K.

Would I harm anything or are they totally compatible? Thanks for your help.

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Since you own the cooler you could always try but I'm not 100% sure if it's compatible. Some old coolers fit, some don't. You might want to go to the manufacturers website to see if they say that 1151 is supported or not.

Yep.
Note that some coolers have a thermal PAD not paste.

If PASTE then if you change the cooler you will need to use 75% or greater isopropyl alcohol and clean off the paste from the CPU and the bottom of the cooler.

FYI, I use the "pea" method for paste. I just put a 5mm diameter blob of paste in the CENTER of the CPU and let it spread itself with the cooler. I've not heard of issues with this method.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957260/components-processors/how-to-install-an-intel-or-amd-cpu-in-your-computer.html

Just an example article.

*Don't also forget to (ideally) install the motherboard FAN software and optimize a profile for your CPU fan and possibly case fans. Software is usually at the motherboard support site for EXACT same model. Maybe be part of a larger program or even earlier Windows version (my Z77 Asus board has W7, W8, and W10 now but only the W7 list has the fan software.)

I have my fan spin at 40% until the temperature reaches 50degC then the RPM ramps up. I tested HANDBRAKE (to load CPU near 100% in real-world heavy load) and optimized the fan profile so it never went past 75degC though you could go a bit higher (85degC is the absolute limit I recommend for that, but laptops do hit that with modern Intel).