Solved

Noob need help for oc!

Hi guys, so i just started oc my cpu 2 days ago and i really need some tips!

i5-4690k 4.3ghz 1.181vcore cooled Hyper D92

Asus HM97-E

I use aida64 and prime95 with HWmonitoring

When i stress test my cpu should i look at the cpu temperature?
or
at the cpu core(package) temperature?

and what are the safe temps for my cpu at this oc setup?

Thanks!
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about noob
  1. Best answer
    jusumoner said:
    Hi guys, so i just started oc my cpu 2 days ago and i really need some tips!

    i5-4690k 4.3ghz 1.181vcore cooled Hyper D92

    Asus HM97-E

    I use aida64 and prime95 with HWmonitoring

    When i stress test my cpu should i look at the cpu temperature?
    or
    at the cpu core(package) temperature?

    and what are the safe temps for my cpu at this oc setup?

    Thanks!



    Look at all of them. Sometimes a CPU isn't mounted exactly the way it should be. The result can be a single core getting significantly hotter than the rest. To have a 10F difference between the hottest and coolest core isn't abnormal. 15 or 20F? Not normal. After determining your CPU is cooling correctly you then look to all the package temperature. Intel's burn test http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html is another tool with which you can test for stability. You can compare your results with with my results,

    which I feel are safe. Technically speaking It will be fine up to 100C but my safe mark is 80C. If my PC hits that number during normal use I know there is something wrong. Although I don't have my 4690K OC'd. You can easily remove the OC and compare temperatures. Regardless of that major difference I wouldn't feel comfortable having my PC running anywhere over 80C if it was OC'd.

    This is with an ambient temp of about 79F. I use a 212 Evo with an extra fan to cool my 4690K. I use the Vivo Titan case with an additional fan added on top. It comes with 2 120mm fans in front and one 120mm fan on the rear of the case.
  2. Okay but what is your average cpu temps (not core) i was using speedfan but it seems really tricky.

    Btw when u speak about the temps you mean the cpu socket temps or the core temps that shouldn't go much higher than 80C?

    But thanks a lot for your answer i will 4sure do a stress test and show you the results/compare.
  3. jusumoner said:
    Okay but what is your average cpu temps (not core) i was using speedfan but it seems really tricky.

    But thanks a lot for your answer i will 4sure do a stress test and show you the results/compare.


    Regular use - high 20-s to mid 30s http://postimg.org/image/5knvgq6r7/.

    Gaming - gives you a rough idea. Some games push it to 60 or 61 during the summer months.

    You can also see my package temps. in my original post. That's typically the more important one and usually the hotter of the two.
  4. Btw when u speak about the temps you mean the cpu socket temps or the core temps that shouldn't go much higher than 80C?
  5. jusumoner said:
    Btw when u speak about the temps you mean the cpu socket temps or the core temps that shouldn't go much higher than 80C?


    Core
  6. Alright thanks a lot man u did really help me! ill do some testing at stock speed and at oc speeds.Ill keep you updated.
  7. jusumoner said:
    Alright thanks a lot man u did really help me! ill do some testing at stock speed and at oc speeds.Ill keep you updated.


    Thank you :) That's appreciated. It's nice to know how my temps. compare with other 4690K owners. The cooling solutions will of course affect final values. Another option I can suggest to others depending on your OC results. Bookmarked.
  8. Here goes a long post :)

    First: i5-4690k stock speed

    Aida64:

    Prime95:

    Second i5-4690k Asus optimal=oc 4,3ghz 1.222vcore

    Aida64:

    Prime95:

    INTELburntest:

    Personnal oc i5-4690k at 4.3ghz 1.160vcore

    Aida64:

    Prime95:

    INTELburntest:

    So to finsih here are my results i might get off more vcore for my personnal oc bcs i can :)
  9. jusumoner said:
    Here goes a long post :)

    First: i5-4690k stock speed

    Aida64:

    Prime95:

    Second i5-4690k Asus optimal=oc 4,3ghz 1.222vcore

    Aida64:

    Prime95:

    INTELburntest:

    Personnal oc i5-4690k at 4.3ghz 1.160vcore

    Aida64:

    Prime95:

    INTELburntest:

    So to finsih here are my results i might get off more vcore for my personnal oc bcs i can :)


    I like the confidence. Temps.(sans the erroneous MB values) are all in the green. What does https://www.piriform.com/speccy say about your motherboard temps during stress testing. Well over 100C when other parts are about 30C cooler and it screams sensor error.

    Apart from why people climb mountains what does this OC investment net you?
  10. Yeah hehe i don't really mind about the MB i know they are false values "well i hope" but ill go check and see with the site you just posted above, ill be back with the results.
  11. I have the results, yeah already ;D

    Full:

    Speecy:

    28C i don't think i need to worry :)
  12. I study in a very advance cegep on technology so we did some labs with overclocking so i sayd why not try it home without frying my cpu :)

    Wtb you my friend?

    PS: till need to find a stable vcore just crashed at 1.140v
  13. jusumoner said:
    I study in a very advance cegep on technology so we did some labs with overclocking so i sayd why not try it home without frying my cpu :)

    Wtb you my friend?

    PS: till need to find a stable vcore just crashed at 1.140v


    As far as your vcore is concerned that's not a hard number I can offer but I think you know this. Not all chips will OC to the same wall and with identical voltages. That's why we have the term silicon lottery.

    With your home PC having over 20GB of RAM I thought there was some kind of work/hobby going on at home that could benefit from 24GB of RAM. It looked like it started with 2x4GB and then 16GB was added. That's not a clue that suggests gaming. Something more professional. Then with the 4690K in play instead of the 4790K i7 it just me wondering so I had to ask. Good luck with the OC'ing and your school :)

    I am just here to help and to be helped when needed. Overclockers.com is another site where you might find some more help.

    I appreciate the fact that you are searching for a second opinion.
  14. aquielisunari said:
    jusumoner said:
    I study in a very advance cegep on technology so we did some labs with overclocking so i sayd why not try it home without frying my cpu :)

    Wtb you my friend?

    PS: till need to find a stable vcore just crashed at 1.140v


    As far as your vcore is concerned that's not a hard number I can offer but I think you know this. Not all chips will OC to the same wall and with identical voltages. That's why we have the term silicon lottery.

    With your home PC having over 20GB of RAM I thought there was some kind of work/hobby going on at home that could benefit from 24GB of RAM. It looked like it started with 2x4GB and then 16GB was added. That's not a clue that suggests gaming. Something more professional. Then with the 4690K in play instead of the 4790K i7 it just me wondering so I had to ask. Good luck with the OC'ing and your school :)

    I am just here to help and to be helped when needed. Overclockers.com is another site where you might find some more help.

    I appreciate the fact that you are searching for a second opinion.


    Yeah men i am doing a lot of heavy mathematical work so i need a lot of rams also when i builded this pc by myself i was a total noob 3 years ago i didn't know much about cpu for sure now i know a lot more gonna get a xeon/i7/ryzen soon also ill try to get my hand on a Nvidia Tesla. Need only a new MB/CPU,CPU AIO COOLER i have my gaming gpu and all the parts that i need to do a work/gaming pc with high mathematical capabilities.

    I guess every one learn from there errors but i learn in a good way really liked the experience of going deep into pc's even if i go out and party a lot :) Every one has 2 sides.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Overclocking CPUs Intel i5 Temperature