Solved

Scared to switch cases, Any tips?

Hi, For my birthday I am picking up the Razer NZXT S340 caseand the corsair h60 high liquid cooler.

I took a look at my PC in its current state and I was shocked, all the cables are tied togeather with zip ties and I don't how I'm going to get them too move freely in my new case. As the CPU cooler wire is tied togeather with the power supply wires and the power led etc are as well, will it be a good idea to just cut the zip ties or do any of you have any better ideas, any help is appreciated!

Many thanks, Josh
Reply to ijoshvirk
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about scared switch cases tips
  1. Cut the zip ties and redo the cable management to suit the new case.
    Reply to coozie7
  2. Yeah. Cut the zip ties and spend some time re-routing wire inside the new case. Welcome to PC modding.
    Reply to Susquehannock
  3. coozie7 said:
    Cut the zip ties and redo the cable management to suit the new case.


    Ok thanks!
    Reply to ijoshvirk
  4. What everyone has already said - snip the zip ties.
    Buy a new bag of ties (they're dirt cheap) & keep tidy as you go

    Massive amount of room behind the backplate in the s340 , cable gromit holes & ziptie fastening points everywhere .
    Get your 24pin main & 8 pin atx headers tidy & fastened down & everything else is easy.
    Reply to madmatt30
  5. Susquehannock said:
    Yeah. Cut the zip ties and spend some time re-routing wire inside the new case. Welcome to PC modding.


    Thanks! Do you think there is anything I should look out for or any tips?
    Reply to ijoshvirk
  6. madmatt30 said:
    What everyone has already said - snip the zip ties.
    Buy a new bag of ties (they're dirt cheap) & keep tidy as you go

    Massive amount of room behind the backplate in the s340 , cable gromit holes & ziptie fastening points everywhere .
    Get your 24pin main & 8 pin atx headers tidy & fastened down & everything else is easy.


    Thanks for the tips! Do you think there anything I should look out for? This is gonna be my first time removing PC parts and installing them fully.
    Reply to ijoshvirk
  7. Best answer
    Plan what you're doing mate.
    The s 340 is incredibly easy to make tidy due to the fact both the psu & 3.5inch drives sit under that massive bottom shroud

    The 8 pin atx can be mounted straight up the backnof the motherboard tray & out top left corner where normally the 8 pin header is located on the board.

    Familiarise yourself , good review here.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9431/the-nzxt-s340-case-review/3



    That kind of result is fairly easy to obtaining in that case.
    Reply to madmatt30
  8. madmatt30 said:
    Plan what you're doing mate.
    The s 340 is incredibly easy to make tidy due to the fact both the psu & 3.5inch drives sit under that massive bottom shroud

    The 8 pin atx can be mounted straight up the backnof the motherboard tray & out top left corner where normally the 8 pin header is located on the board.

    Familiarise yourself , good review here.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9431/the-nzxt-s340-case-review/3




    That kind of result is fairly easy to obtaining in that case.




    Okay thanks for the help, much appreciated.
    Reply to ijoshvirk
  9. Just a few other points that may help:

    USE A GOOD QUALITY SCREWDRIVER! I cannot over emphasise this, you'll be working close to some fine electronic parts and one slip of a Phillips driver can cost you a motherboard.

    The 4/8 pin ATX cable may be too short to reach the top left of the motherboard in the new case, don't panic, extenders are available.

    That big 24 pin block is a brute to get out and can be just as hard to reconnect, remember there's a little locking tab on it that must be pressed as you release the cable so use both hands, one to squeeze the locking tab and pull the cable out, the other to push down on the motherboard. To make insertion easier, smear it with a little petroleum jelly, if it's very tight, wedge a couple of fingers under the motherboard to support it.

    That case has plenty of fan locations, if the current fans are noisy now would be a good time to replace them with better quality, quieter parts; Phanteks, Sythe, Noiseblocker, Bequiet!and Noctua all make excellent parts.
    Depending on what hardware you have, I suggest at least one front fan set for intake with the stock top/rear fans left as exhaust but dual front intake fans would offer better airflow at the expense of more noise.
    While 120mm fans are good, the bigger 140mm size shifts more air at lower speeds and these larger fans would be preferable if you're aiming for as quiet a system as is reasonably practicable.
    It's safe to drive 2 fans off one motherboard header by using a 'Y' splitter and the speed is easily controlled through the BIOS.

    When disassembling/reassembling the motherboard, leave the CPU cooler in place, unless it's a big tower, in which case it should be removed before the motherboard, smaller coolers can be left in place and even used as a handle to help lifting the motherboard safely out/in.
    As with the fans, now is a good time to give the CPU cooler some attention-pop it off, give it a good clean and reapply the thermal paste.

    And while you're doing this major surgery, don't forget to give the graphics card some TLC as well, a good blowdown with a can of cleaning gas (do it outside!) and, maybe a stripdown to change the thermal paste. Bear in mind, removing the cooler on most cards invalidates the warranty so if the card still has warranty outstanding just blow out the heatsink as well as possible-and don't forget to clean BOTH sides of the fan/s, a cotton bud gets nicely behind them and don't apply much force, the blades can be easily broken.
    Reply to coozie7
  10. coozie7 said:
    Just a few other points that may help:

    USE A GOOD QUALITY SCREWDRIVER! I cannot over emphasise this, you'll be working close to some fine electronic parts and one slip of a Phillips driver can cost you a motherboard.

    The 4/8 pin ATX cable may be too short to reach the top left of the motherboard in the new case, don't panic, extenders are available.

    That big 24 pin block is a brute to get out and can be just as hard to reconnect, remember there's a little locking tab on it that must be pressed as you release the cable so use both hands, one to squeeze the locking tab and pull the cable out, the other to push down on the motherboard. To make insertion easier, smear it with a little petroleum jelly, if it's very tight, wedge a couple of fingers under the motherboard to support it.

    That case has plenty of fan locations, if the current fans are noisy now would be a good time to replace them with better quality, quieter parts; Phanteks, Sythe, Noiseblocker, Bequiet!and Noctua all make excellent parts.
    Depending on what hardware you have, I suggest at least one front fan set for intake with the stock top/rear fans left as exhaust but dual front intake fans would offer better airflow at the expense of more noise.
    While 120mm fans are good, the bigger 140mm size shifts more air at lower speeds and these larger fans would be preferable if you're aiming for as quiet a system as is reasonably practicable.
    It's safe to drive 2 fans off one motherboard header by using a 'Y' splitter and the speed is easily controlled through the BIOS.

    When disassembling/reassembling the motherboard, leave the CPU cooler in place, unless it's a big tower, in which case it should be removed before the motherboard, smaller coolers can be left in place and even used as a handle to help lifting the motherboard safely out/in.
    As with the fans, now is a good time to give the CPU cooler some attention-pop it off, give it a good clean and reapply the thermal paste.

    And while you're doing this major surgery, don't forget to give the graphics card some TLC as well, a good blowdown with a can of cleaning gas (do it outside!) and, maybe a stripdown to change the thermal paste. Bear in mind, removing the cooler on most cards invalidates the warranty so if the card still has warranty outstanding just blow out the heatsink as well as possible-and don't forget to clean BOTH sides of the fan/s, a cotton bud gets nicely behind them and don't apply much force, the blades can be easily broken.


    Thank you very much for the detailed answer! I appreciated it :)
    Reply to ijoshvirk
  11. Thank you everyone for your help, I actually finished my PC build about 3 months ago and I'm impressed, thank you so much for your help everyone, it is highly appreciated.
    Reply to ijoshvirk
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Power Supplies NZXT Tips & Tricks S340 Switching cases Corsair H60 Cases Razer