FX-6300 Biostar OC Problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yKkW0WfAU

Okay, basically, I want to overclock to 4.4 GHz. If you follow my link to my video I recorded and read the short description, you'll see that I followed some Thai guy's OC guide, visually of course because I couldn't understand what he was saying. My motherboard is the same one he's using in the video, which is a Biostar TA990FXE. I set my voltage to 1.375, but it shows up in CPU-Z as 1.428. Also, my clock only shows up at like 3 GHz. But, when I look at "dxdiag" and my computer info, it shows 4.4 GHz. Everything is shown in the video I recorded of my BIOS with my camera. Please watch it please and let me know what I did wrong and the correct settings I should be using for my motherboard. It's only 7:17 long. I tested for 10 minutes in Prime95 the first time I did the OC and nothing failed. No crashes or blue screens. I figure it's worth mentioning that I built this computer in March 2013. Just trying to squeeze some extra juice out of it. I've never overclocked a CPU before in my life.

AMD FX-6300
Biostar TA990FXE
EVGA 650W PSU
12GB DDR3 1866 RAM
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3 GB
Corsair 120 GB SSD primary
WD Black 1TB HDD secondary
3 answers Last reply
More about 6300 biostar problem
  1. No magic, when you set VID it's just a starting voltage which will go up with CPU usage, it's good until 1.5v (AMD recommendation) which also means a lot more heat and requires cooler much better than standard.
    Another thing, when you OC on FSB/BCLK other values raise with it, memory, NB, HT and PCIe which should all also be kept in check, mostly by manually setting them.
    It's much easier to change multiplier and appropriate voltage.
  2. CountMike said:
    No magic, when you set VID it's just a starting voltage which will go up with CPU usage, it's good until 1.5v (AMD recommendation) which also means a lot more heat and requires cooler much better than standard.
    Another thing, when you OC on FSB/BCLK other values raise with it, memory, NB, HT and PCIe which should all also be kept in check, mostly by manually setting them.
    It's much easier to change multiplier and appropriate voltage.

And with that, my confusion remains at 100% still. I ended up downloading a program called AMD OverDrive and used the simple sliders to raise the voltage and clock speed. It seemed to work flawlessly. I feel like I'd rather do it in the BIOS eventually, though.
  3. Just note settings you have in AOD and do them in BIOS, it would be a good starting point.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking FX-6300 AMD Video Biostar 4.4 GHz