Fx-9590 throttling clock speeds. When playing high end games.

Switch_jay

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Like the title says while playing high-end games (Overwatch, Battlefield 4, Mass Effect Andromeda(Trial)) I get spikes of lag, for 3 or so seconds then it goes back to normal.
Then I started watching Task Manager, while in Battlefield 4 Cpu speed was at 4.67 ghz and usage was around 74% then when the spike hit it went down to 1.37 GHz at around 29% usage
I've tried the stuff on here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1202751/amd-fx-cpu-throttling-fixes-please-sticky
And this is my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r2Q24C
If you need any other info just ask and I will get it.

Solution
Well having reviewed your MB, you don't have a very comprehensive Bios to OC with. It's really basic with not much voltage control.

Wow 4.22Ghz is an underclock with the FX-9590, very low really and it should work at 4.7GHz and a Vcore of 1.3275V and if not then it's a poor performing CPU. Your original 4.7Ghz settings were better than that.
You have a good PSU so that should not be the problem.

What temps are you getting at 4.8GHz and 1.3275V on the core.
If you have no success at that frequency and voltage then what about at stock 4.7GHz.
If temps are going above 70C at stock then it's the cooler.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it.?

I'm using the ROG Crosshair V Formula Z MB and clocked to 5.2GHz and a Vcore...
Hi Switch_jay :) Lets find out why the sytem is unstable and throttling.

There are several revisions of the GA-990FXA-UD3 MB.

Please list your revision,? as not all fully support the FX-9590 due to the 220TDP Draw.
Do you have the latest Bios for your revision.?

The thread from Overclockers was correct in some aspects however UEFI Bios improvements enabled better more stable OCs.
You need to establish stability at stock 4.7GHz under stress to check temperatures and voltages.
Clear your CMOS back to default and do the following:

Download AIDA64 and CPUid HWMonitor and put them side by side on your desktop.
In AIDA64 select from the Tools menu to run the stress test then, check the boxes for CPU, FPU and Cache only. Run the test for 10mins and take screen shots at the 10min mark. Stop the test if temps reach 70C +.
Upload the images to IMIGUR then obtain the BBurl from the Images menu to provide a link here for analyses.

I will be looking to see your temperatures under load, all Rail Voltages and 100% utilization on all cores.

Depending on results, Bios changes will be suggested.

The VRMs are the Voltage regulators on the NB. It's a buck converter that provides a microprocessor the appropriate supply voltage and consisting of in your case 8+2 phase capacitors.
Sometimes under load they get hot and will shut down the MB to prevent damage.
Improved cooling to the VRMs helps in that situation.

Also what Bios are you on.? Latest is F3

Switch_jay

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/AlbMd

I will do the Cmos Reset right after I get done with some work.

HWMonitor indicates Temperature on the Core is spiking to 80C which is a little excessive at 4.7GHz. All rail voltages are OK and within spec.
If it continues after further tests with CMOS back to default then either the H100i is not doing its job or you need to re apply your TIM. Ideal temps are 10-15C above ambient room temperature at idle and 60-65C under load.
From what I can see you have Turbo enabled in Bios. Fixed core frequency is better.
Your Vcore voltage is too high at max 1.5V and can probably be reduced to drop the core temperature.

Best is to clear CMOS and start from scratch.

Go into your Bios and make these changes then conduct a stress test.

Use the multiplier to manually fix your frequency first to 4.7GHz which is stock. Why.? refer below.

Disable all Cstates C1E etc, as this is just a power saving feature and can spoil a decent OC. Can be turned back on later when system is stable.
Disable "Turbo mode" and "Cool and Quiet"
Set Vcore to 1.300V. If there is instability then raise in .01V steps till stable.
LLC (Load Line Calibration) to 8, High not extreme. Not sure what your Bios provides for but default is probably auto. This helps with any voltage droop.
CPU Current Capability to 120% if your have it.
Disable APM
Multiplier/Voltage Change to Manual

Leave the rest on auto and don't make arbitrary changes.
You can set your XMP profile for RAM if available.

Switch_jay

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

So I reset the CMOSI've done everything but a couple:
As far as I've seen I don't have CPU Current Capability or Multipler/Voltage being able to be changed to manual.
Also what do you mean by instability with the Vcore Voltage, I have changed it to 1.300V, I just want to know what to look out for.
LLC didn't have high, it has in this order (Auto, Normal, Extreme, Medium, Low, Standard)

OK I'm going to review your MB manual to see what's available with your Bios.

Your Vcore voltage should be OK at 1.300V and 4.7GHz. What you need to look out for is heat generated by Vcore settings. Each voltage increase here has an exponential increase in temperature, so you need to keep it as low as possible yet stable. In any case you should not exceed 1.4V on the core if you want it to last.

The FX-9590 has a thirsty need for stable efficient voltage and especially with higher OCs.
LLC in your case should be set to "Medium" at stock frequency and "Extreme" when going to 5GHz or more. It will depend on your CPU and cooling system and how hot the MB VRMs get.
Different temperature apps don't all measure sensors around the VRMs. I use a temperature probe for this purpose as not all apps monitor all sensors.

You need to establish a stable OC at stock frequency as a base line for OCing and each Bios change needs a new stress test. It can be fun or frustrating as it takes time to get a stable OC.

I'll be back shortly.

Ok iv'e reviewed the MB.
Go to M.I.T.>Advanced frequency settings.
Leave your BCLK at 200MHz
CPU NB> manually set it to 2200MHz
HT link to 2600MHz
CPU core ratio set to: 24 = 200 x 24 for 4.8GHz

Go to >M.I.T /Advanced voltage settings
Set CPU Vcore to 1.3275V. If the OC fails then raise Vcore .01V at a time till it is accepted. MAX 1.4V. DO NOT EXCEED.
Vcore Loadline calibration>set to 120% or medium if that's what is available.

Stress test and post your results.
Also, please answer as previously asked. Do you have the latest Bios for your revision.?
This information is available in Bios System menu.

Switch_jay

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Yes I am using the latest Bios version F3, I'll get the results up in the next 30 minutes, I just reapplied the thermal paste and changed then fans on the radiator to a pull configuration.

I just got a "Boot failure detected" Heres the images. http://imgur.com/a/5VCOn

CPU VCore you have set to 1.1375V, should be set to 1.3275V

Switch_jay

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

*facepalm* Thanks for helping me with this.
Update: I changed the Vcore and as you predicted it makes the CPU temperature go up exponentially, but I am still getting the boot failed.
Update2: The only way I have been able to actually get to windows is by lowering the clock speed( Currently at 4.22GHZ, So what do you suggest I do, or better yet what would be the problem cause? (Cpu Faulty? Shitty Liquid Cooler, I doubt it but, something to do with the motherboard.)

Well having reviewed your MB, you don't have a very comprehensive Bios to OC with. It's really basic with not much voltage control.

Wow 4.22Ghz is an underclock with the FX-9590, very low really and it should work at 4.7GHz and a Vcore of 1.3275V and if not then it's a poor performing CPU. Your original 4.7Ghz settings were better than that.
You have a good PSU so that should not be the problem.

What temps are you getting at 4.8GHz and 1.3275V on the core.
If you have no success at that frequency and voltage then what about at stock 4.7GHz.
If temps are going above 70C at stock then it's the cooler.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it.?

I'm using the ROG Crosshair V Formula Z MB and clocked to 5.2GHz and a Vcore of 1.4V. I'm using a H110i AIO and my temperatures under load are 68-70C. I have two profiles saved. One for Winter at 5.2GHz and my other profile set at 4.8GHz for Summer months.

Solution