My fx-8320 is under performing

Colardocookie

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
My fx-8320 still cant run alot of games above 60 fps constant even when OC. I had bought a new motherboard originally to see if that was it because everyone said that it was an issue so i opted out to buy a GIGABYTE-990FX-GAMING motherboard and the cpu has been performing this way for since i got it any ideas to fix? if not im buying a i7 4790k because i have finally the money and perfer higher frames over better graphics.

Colardocookie

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

The rest of my specs are single 8Gb stick of ram 1TB west digital blue r9 290 and some old cooler master cooler that keeps the cpu under 72C

FX cores have an ineffective architecture and are slow.
A single stick of ram does not help either.

If you have the funds for a i7-4790K, you are better off with a I5-7600K with an overclock.

Unless your particular games can effectively use more than 4 threads, a I7-7700K is not worth it.

To tell, run some tests with YOUR games.
Experiment with removing one or more cores. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

1 8gb stick means you are running slower then 2x4gb.

72c is high for an 8320, should be able to keep it below 60C. Get better cooler.

Never stated power supply which could make a VERY big difference as unstable voltages will make everything else less stable.

Colardocookie

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
The reason i would go with a 4790k is I found one for a decent price and it would cost more to upgrade the new architecture and I do multitask heavily so the 4 extra threads help

You do realize that a i7-4790K is going to require a motherboard upgrade also??

It is a very good processor if the price is right.