Solved

Aircooling for OC

Is it possible/reasonable to get 5.5ghz+ on and i7 7700k with air cooling? If so what air-cooler would make this possible?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about aircooling
  1. Atreyo Bhattacharjee said:
    Is it possible/reasonable to get 5.5ghz+ on and i7 7700k with air cooling? If so what air-cooler would make this possible?


    Actually, most AiO coolers won't help much more than a good quality air cooler. With Skylake (and Kaby Lake), it seems that they hit internal limits before they hit thermal limits thanks to their efficiency. Pair it with a good cooler (Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Cryorig R1, Noctua NH-D15S) and you should be good to go.

    However, 5.5GHz is not a very reasonable goal. Many can get to 5GHz on that CPU without issue, but most get stuck around 5.2GHz (and most aren't because of heat). It seems that 5.2-5.3GHz is the limit for how fast the chip can function and still remain stable, regardless of temperature.

    The Tom's article that @Rogue Leader linked proves that the chip is capable of running faster, but they had to do a lot of warranty voiding to get to those insane speeds. If this is your first OC attempt, don't delid or modify anything, you'll want the warranty if something goes terribly wrong.
  2. Best answer
    Atreyo Bhattacharjee said:
    Is it possible/reasonable to get 5.5ghz+ on and i7 7700k with air cooling? If so what air-cooler would make this possible?


    Not a chance in the world. Liquid nitrogen under a controlled environment, maybe.

    Tom's just did an article on that

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kaby-lake-de-lidding-overclocking-test,4970.html


    Again,

    You're asking a lot of extreme overclocking questions for someone who is fairly new to this stuff. You should start slow before you plan on hitting world records.
  3. Rogue Leader said:
    You're asking a lot of extreme overclocking questions for someone who is fairly new to this stuff. You should start slow before you plan on hitting world records.


    I agree. I took me over a year to figure out what I was doing and get my FX 8350 above 4.8GHz.

    I recommend starting with a more reasonable goal, say 4.8GHz. 300MHz should help you get an idea of what you're doing before you start shooting for the stars. Run it like that for at least a week. Figure out how to work out the quirks of your current OC before aiming higher.

    Note that Intel is pickier about OC settings than AMD is. If you've OC'd on AMD systems and not Intel systems, you'll likely have a hard time getting a stable OC on Intel without doing some research and maybe hitting up the forums again.
  4. Atreyo Bhattacharjee said:
    Is it possible/reasonable to get 5.5ghz+ on and i7 7700k with air cooling? If so what air-cooler would make this possible?
    Short answer :no.

    Full answer: without liquid nitrogen, no way in he11.

    Get some real expectations, *maybe* 5 Ghz, as a fair number have gotten there on air or liquid. (may the silicon lottery god be with you).
  5. It is worth noting that what I said earlier about some making it to 5.2GHz, those are people who do this for a living. They know exactly what to do to get a stable fast OC in situations where my first instinct would be to back off on my OC settings.
  6. MERGED QUESTION
    Question from Atreyo Bhattacharjee : "Best watercooler for overclocking"

    Atreyo Bhattacharjee said:
    What is the best AIO water cooler for overclocking under 150? What is the best AIO water cooler for overclocking in general?


    czar357 said:
    I would look at the NZXT Kraken X61 for under $150. The Swiftech H240 X2 would probably be the best overall short of making your own water cooled setup.


    geofelt said:
    What will you be overclocking?
    For Intel. you will, as a rule run out of safe vcore before you run into thermal limits.
    For Ryzen, I do not know.

    My canned rant on liquid cooling:
    ------------------------start of rant-------------------
    You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
    How much do you really need?
    I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
    A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
    in a well ventilated case.
    Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
    The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
    If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
    If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
    And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
    google "H100 leak"
    I would support an AIO cooler only in a space restricted case.
    -----------------------end of rant--------------------------

    Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.


    Atreyo Bhattacharjee said:
    geofelt said:
    What will you be overclocking?
    For Intel. you will, as a rule run out of safe vcore before you run into thermal limits.
    For Ryzen, I do not know.

    My canned rant on liquid cooling:
    ------------------------start of rant-------------------
    You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
    How much do you really need?
    I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
    A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
    in a well ventilated case.
    Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
    The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
    If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
    If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
    And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
    google "H100 leak"
    I would support an AIO cooler only in a space restricted case.
    -----------------------end of rant--------------------------

    Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.
    I want to get an i7 7700k to 5.5ghz+, is this reasonable? Do I need to delid the cpu to reach such performance?



    geofelt said:
    7700K @5.5 can't happen.
    Only about 5% of samples are good enough to reach 5.2
    You can buy one such chip from silicon lottery for $569.
    https://siliconlottery.com/collections/lga-1151/products/7700k52g

    As of 1/13/17
    What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

    I7-7700K
    4.9 74%
    5.0 56%
    5.1 26%
    5.2 5%
    You can have SL delid for you, but that only reduces the temperatures.
    Not much worth it since you will run out of safe vcore before you run out of thermal limits.


    MERGED QUESTION
    Question from Atreyo Bhattacharjee : "Air cooling vs Water cooling"

    Atreyo Bhattacharjee said:
    Which is better: a Noctua D15, or NZXT Kraken x61?

    I want to OC an i7 7700k to 5.0-5.3 GHz, would that be a reasonable goal for either of these coolers?


    7700K to 5.3 GHz for regular use is an unreasonable expectation. Expect 5.1 if you're SUPER lucky and 5.0 if you're pretty lucky. As for the coolers, the Kraken will cool a bit better but I'd get the noctua anyways to be honest, it'll last longer, be quieter, and cool just fine for a 4.9GHz+ overclock assuming the TIM under the IHS isn't terrible on your chip.
  7. Atreyo,

    Please stop with the continual posts about the same topic.

    As you can see we have been merging them together.

    Stick to one topic and discuss it with those who have answered. As you can see you keep getting the same answer, that should tell you something. Aside from the fact you're getting WAY ahead of yourself with your overclocking desires.
  8. There is no need to try to get some crazy overclock out of this CPU unless it is just for fun. It is already one of the best CPU's for gaming and will handle most tasks thrown at it. Just run it stock or with a mild overclock (4.5-5ghz) and be done with it.
  9. czar357 said:
    There is no need to try to get some crazy overclock out of this CPU unless it is just for fun. It is already one of the best CPU's for gaming and will handle most tasks thrown at it. Just run it stock or with a mild overclock (4.5-5ghz) and be done with it.


    I agree. Note that this is a 4 core, 8 thread CPU. Most games (except for the really new ones) only use 4 threads. OP could disable HyperThreading in BIOS and have a little more room for overclocking. Maybe he'd get an extra 50-60MHz out of it.

    That being said, newer CPU intensive games like GTA V, BF1, etc would like to be able to use all 8 threads. Whether or not disabling HyperThreading for a higher clock would be beneficial to gaming would depend on what games OP plays.
  10. Rogue Leader said:
    Atreyo,

    Please stop with the continual posts about the same topic.

    As you can see we have been merging them together.

    Stick to one topic and discuss it with those who have answered. As you can see you keep getting the same answer, that should tell you something. Aside from the fact you're getting WAY ahead of yourself with your overclocking desires.
    Sorry for the continual posts. But I have one last question, would overclocking void my warenty. Im really new to PC bulilding and have no clue what expectations if should have. Again, sorry.
  11. Overclocking does void the warranty, technically, however unless you burn out the processor doing it there is no way for them to really know.
  12. Atreyo Bhattacharjee said:
    Rogue Leader said:
    Atreyo,

    Please stop with the continual posts about the same topic.

    As you can see we have been merging them together.

    Stick to one topic and discuss it with those who have answered. As you can see you keep getting the same answer, that should tell you something. Aside from the fact you're getting WAY ahead of yourself with your overclocking desires.
    Sorry for the continual posts. But I have one last question, would overclocking void my warenty. Im really new to PC bulilding and have no clue what expectations if should have. Again, sorry.


    Yes it does void the warranty, but they have no real way of knowing that you overclocked it.

    If they ask how it failed, just play dumb and say like "One day my PC wouldn't turn on. Found that the CPU was the problem."
  13. One other thing. Intel processors have something like a 0.5% failure rate maybe even less, so the chances of needing the warranty are very low unless you burn it out by excessive overclocking, or you do something dumb like delidding it improperly. With a minor overclock it should in theory "last forever"
  14. Rogue Leader said:
    One other thing. Intel processors have something like a 0.5% failure rate maybe even less, so the chances of needing the warranty are very low unless you burn it out by excessive overclocking, or you do something dumb like delidding it improperly. With a minor overclock it should in theory "last forever"


    Delid it? I thought we weren't supposed to be filling OP's head with ideas of how to void his warranty. :D

    And yes, a CPU that isn't abused will last well over a decade before performance degradation occurs, at which point a slight voltage increase can usually get a few more years out of it before it bites the dust.
  15. weberdarren97 said:
    Rogue Leader said:
    One other thing. Intel processors have something like a 0.5% failure rate maybe even less, so the chances of needing the warranty are very low unless you burn it out by excessive overclocking, or you do something dumb like delidding it improperly. With a minor overclock it should in theory "last forever"


    Delid it? I thought we weren't supposed to be filling OP's head with ideas of how to void his warranty. :D


    Was already discussed earlier in this thread, just pointing it out to him.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Intel i7 CPUs