Solved

AMD a10 6800k APU with discrete GPU GTX 1050ti?

Hey Guys so i have this prebuild pc with these specs. AMD APU A10 6000k with IGPU Radeon HD 8670D. PSU 250w max output 240w. motherboard GA-F2A55M-DS2 (rev. 1.2). RAM 8GB. i was thinking of buying a discrete GPU amd rx 460 2gb but i decided since its only little difference i decided to go with GTX 1050 TI. What are your thoughts? is it worth. suitable for my system? i might have to buy a PSU?
Reply to TheMinionDude
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd a10 6800k apu discrete gpu gtx 1050ti
  1. Best answer
    Yes you will have to buy a new PSU.

    Honestly, if you are arleady putting money intoa new PSU and GPU then just save up for an all new computer and sell your current one.

    The a10 cant beat out a 3 year old i3 in performance and there is no upgrade chip in your platform that will make much of a difference.
    Reply to boosted1g
  2. Yes you should upgrade your PSU and no need to switch to intel or Ryzen yet since by upgrading your PSU and GPU you could re-use them down the road when your ready or want to upgrade the rest of your system.
    Reply to ikaz
  3. Thanks guys, i dont have that much money to upgrade the whole pc. this GPU will give me lot of gaming boost and a10 6800k is for gaming! cheap PSU link i can buy? thanks in advance guys!
    Reply to TheMinionDude
  4. DO NOT BUY A DISCRETE GPU WITH A A-SERIES PROCCESSOR
    Problem here is your computer will force itself to use the graphics integrated into your proccessor and as a result will show no improvement. In order to make a discreet gpu even slightly worth your time you need to switch it out with a athlon x4 845 or higher then get the discreet gpu.
    Keep in mind if you upgrade/downgrade (weird situation) that your motherboard may not support the architecture of the athlon x4 series so "flashing your bios" may be neccesary. If your computer works with the new proccessor installed then forget i said anything about flashing your bios as you are fine and doing so anyway may "brick" your motherboard. (aka make it useless)
    Reply to Wer3badatgames
  5. Wer3badatgames said:
    DO NOT BUY A DISCRETE GPU WITH A A-SERIES PROCCESSOR
    Problem here is your computer will force itself to use the graphics integrated into your proccessor and as a result will show no improvement. In order to make a discreet gpu even slightly worth your time you need to switch it out with a athlon x4 845 or higher then get the discreet gpu.
    Keep in mind if you upgrade/downgrade (weird situation) that your motherboard may not support the architecture of the athlon x4 series so "flashing your bios" may be neccesary. If your computer works with the new proccessor installed then forget i said anything about flashing your bios as you are fine and doing so anyway may "brick" your motherboard. (aka make it useless)

    As far as i know and others no one has told me that!. People are having no problem with using APU and a discrete GPU
    Reply to TheMinionDude
  6. I actually originally had a amd A10 7870k core. Upon trying to use a dedicated graphics card I wound up not even being able to use it. The problems i encountered are as follows:
    - When using Nvidia graphics card I experienced conflicting driver isues resulting in display driver failures
    - Tried removing amd graphics drivers to prevent conflicting issues
    - Found out it was still attempting to use my gpu in my core so i switched it to the graphics card via bios
    - This worked till windows updated, aparently it automatically installs the drivers for my core again
    - deleted drivers again and turned off the automatic update
    - still automatically updated the graphics drivers cause windows 10 apparently doesnt actually turn that off
    - Wound up not being able to use a discreet graphics card until i stopped using an APU
    Im just letting you know what happened with me. Trust me the APU series are amazing for a budget build because you dont need a graphics card right off the bat cause its integrated. However if you want a discreet gpu i suggest switching your core out with a athlon x4 because it shares the same slot.
    Reply to Wer3badatgames
  7. TheMinionDude said:
    Wer3badatgames said:
    DO NOT BUY A DISCRETE GPU WITH A A-SERIES PROCCESSOR
    Problem here is your computer will force itself to use the graphics integrated into your proccessor and as a result will show no improvement. In order to make a discreet gpu even slightly worth your time you need to switch it out with a athlon x4 845 or higher then get the discreet gpu.
    Keep in mind if you upgrade/downgrade (weird situation) that your motherboard may not support the architecture of the athlon x4 series so "flashing your bios" may be neccesary. If your computer works with the new proccessor installed then forget i said anything about flashing your bios as you are fine and doing so anyway may "brick" your motherboard. (aka make it useless)

    As far as i know and others no one has told me that!. People are having no problem with using APU and a discrete GPU


    I used to own an A10-6800k and had zero issues using a discrete GPU with it.

    If you can't afford a full upgrade now then a new PSU + GPU will be a nice boost to your current setup and both will also be transferable to a new pc when you get one.
    Reply to LucoTF
  8. Wer3badatgames said:
    I actually originally had a amd A10 7870k core. Upon trying to use a dedicated graphics card I wound up not even being able to use it. The problems i encountered are as follows:
    - When using Nvidia graphics card I experienced conflicting driver isues resulting in display driver failures
    - Tried removing amd graphics drivers to prevent conflicting issues
    - Found out it was still attempting to use my gpu in my core so i switched it to the graphics card via bios
    - This worked till windows updated, aparently it automatically installs the drivers for my core again
    - deleted drivers again and turned off the automatic update
    - still automatically updated the graphics drivers cause windows 10 apparently doesnt actually turn that off
    - Wound up not being able to use a discreet graphics card until i stopped using an APU
    Im just letting you know what happened with me. Trust me the APU series are amazing for a budget build because you dont need a graphics card right off the bat cause its integrated. However if you want a discreet gpu i suggest switching your core out with a athlon x4 because it shares the same slot.

    I dont have the budget to get the CPU as well, thank you so much for letting me know. Did you use amd catalyst to use a discrete GPU?
    Reply to TheMinionDude
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gtx GPUs AMD Radeon