Solved

Computer crashes while under load - vertical mono colored lines

Thanks for looking into my issues!

I just got a 4k monitor and now I'm getting crashes when playing games at 1440 144hz. Not sure what the issues is since my system technically can support it.

Computer Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rcZTqk
Note: Power source is like 10 years old.
Note: Graphic card just gets by for 4k using display port
Note: I just replaced my CPU heat-sync (fan stopped working) - came with thermal paste already applied. Maybe needs more, however my CPU was at 52c when it crashed.

I'll run benchmarks in a few hours and comment back with my findings. Any thoughts on the cause?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer crashes load vertical mono colored lines
  1. What model is the 4k monitor, and are you running it alongside the 1440 monitor?
  2. the nerd 389 said:
    What model is the 4k monitor, and are you running it alongside the 1440 monitor?


    Monitor is in the computer spec. And I'm just running a single monitor.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D8KhP6/benq-monitor-xl2730z
  3. Matt_198 said:
    the nerd 389 said:
    What model is the 4k monitor, and are you running it alongside the 1440 monitor?


    Monitor is in the computer spec. And I'm just running a single monitor.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D8KhP6/benq-monitor-xl2730z


    That's not a 4k monitor. It's QHD. 4k is generally 3840 x 2160.

    If your CPU temps are that low, there's nothing wrong with your cooler. You should never have to replace the thermal paste unless you got really, really bad stuff or applied it incorrectly.

    Did you overclock the GPU or any other components?
  4. the nerd 389 said:
    Matt_198 said:
    the nerd 389 said:
    What model is the 4k monitor, and are you running it alongside the 1440 monitor?


    Monitor is in the computer spec. And I'm just running a single monitor.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D8KhP6/benq-monitor-xl2730z


    That's not a 4k monitor. It's QHD. 4k is generally 3840 x 2160.

    If your CPU temps are that low, there's nothing wrong with your cooler. You should never have to replace the thermal paste unless you got really, really bad stuff or applied it incorrectly.

    Did you overclock the GPU or any other components?


    Thanks - the GPU comes overclocked but I'm not that savvy to overclock myself, no other components are overclocked. I just downloaded some bench marks test program now. going to run it and see what it says.

    Update here is the results. Not sure what I'm doing so maybe someone can make sense of this

    Geeks3D FurMark

    SCORE:2604 points (44 FPS, 60000 ms)
    Max GPU Temp: 75°C
    Resolution: 2560x1440 (FS) - AA:0 samples
    FPS: min:42, max:46, avg:44 - OPTIONS: DynBkg
    GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 (10DE-13C2)
    21.21.13.7892 (3-16-2017) - GL:nvoglv64
    GPU core: 1177 MHz, memory: 3505 MHz
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    3501 MHz
    32705 MB
    Windows 10 64-bit build 14393

    Going to try a stress test now


    **************
    RESULT SUMMARY
    **************
    Test Start time: Mon Mar 20 18:37:50 2017
    Test Stop time: Mon Mar 20 18:43:14 2017
    Test Duration: 000h 05m 24s
    Temperature HDD 0 (SSD2SC120G709A104-43227894) (Min/Current/Max): NA / NA / NA
    Temperature HDD 1 (ST2000DM001-1CH164) (Min/Current/Max): NA / NA / NA
    Temperature HDD 2 (Corsair Force GS) (Min/Current/Max): NA / NA / NA
    Temperature HDD 3 (WDC WD2500AAJS-75B4A0) (Min/Current/Max): NA / NA / NA
    Temperature GPU 0 (nVIDIA) (Min/Current/Max): 63.0C / 66.0C / 68.0C

    Test Name Cycles Operations Result Errors Last Error
    3D Graphics 27 816570 PASS 0 No errors
    Temperature - - PASS 0 No errors
    TEST RUN PASSED
  5. Best answer
    The only things that I can see that might cause the crash (from a hardware perspective) are the age of the PSU and the fact that you got two separate dual channel kits. The dual channel kits are not verified to work when four modules are used together, and using two separate dual channel kits has been known to cause stability issues.

    That's not very common, mind you, but it does happen. If you can tell which sticks went together, try removing one of the pairs to see if it fixes the problem.
  6. Matt_198 said:
    the nerd 389 said:
    Matt_198 said:
    the nerd 389 said:
    What model is the 4k monitor, and are you running it alongside the 1440 monitor?


    Monitor is in the computer spec. And I'm just running a single monitor.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D8KhP6/benq-monitor-xl2730z


    That's not a 4k monitor. It's QHD. 4k is generally 3840 x 2160.

    If your CPU temps are that low, there's nothing wrong with your cooler. You should never have to replace the thermal paste unless you got really, really bad stuff or applied it incorrectly.

    Did you overclock the GPU or any other components?


    Thanks - the GPU comes overclocked but I'm not that savvy to overclock myself, no other components are overclocked. I just downloaded some bench marks test program now. going to run it and see what it says.

    Update here is the results. Not sure what I'm doing so maybe someone can make sense of this

    Geeks3D FurMark

    SCORE:2604 points (44 FPS, 60000 ms)
    Max GPU Temp: 75°C
    Resolution: 2560x1440 (FS) - AA:0 samples
    FPS: min:42, max:46, avg:44 - OPTIONS: DynBkg
    GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 (10DE-13C2)
    21.21.13.7892 (3-16-2017) - GL:nvoglv64
    GPU core: 1177 MHz, memory: 3505 MHz
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    3501 MHz
    32705 MB
    Windows 10 64-bit build 14393

    Going to try a stress test now


    Are these the results of the Furkmark? If i understand, i see a core clock of 1177 mhz and a memory clock of 3505 mhz (??). I just saw the specs of your card, your effective memory is set at 7010 mhz, that would be around 1760 mhz of memory clock for the supercharged 970 gtx. Did you undergo any overclocking by yourself?
  7. Tolis_GR said:
    Matt_198 said:
    the nerd 389 said:
    Matt_198 said:
    the nerd 389 said:
    What model is the 4k monitor, and are you running it alongside the 1440 monitor?


    Monitor is in the computer spec. And I'm just running a single monitor.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D8KhP6/benq-monitor-xl2730z


    That's not a 4k monitor. It's QHD. 4k is generally 3840 x 2160.

    If your CPU temps are that low, there's nothing wrong with your cooler. You should never have to replace the thermal paste unless you got really, really bad stuff or applied it incorrectly.

    Did you overclock the GPU or any other components?


    Thanks - the GPU comes overclocked but I'm not that savvy to overclock myself, no other components are overclocked. I just downloaded some bench marks test program now. going to run it and see what it says.

    Update here is the results. Not sure what I'm doing so maybe someone can make sense of this

    Geeks3D FurMark

    SCORE:2604 points (44 FPS, 60000 ms)
    Max GPU Temp: 75°C
    Resolution: 2560x1440 (FS) - AA:0 samples
    FPS: min:42, max:46, avg:44 - OPTIONS: DynBkg
    GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 (10DE-13C2)
    21.21.13.7892 (3-16-2017) - GL:nvoglv64
    GPU core: 1177 MHz, memory: 3505 MHz
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    3501 MHz
    32705 MB
    Windows 10 64-bit build 14393

    Going to try a stress test now


    Are these the results of the Furkmark? If i understand, i see a core clock of 1177 mhz and a memory clock of 3505 mhz (??). I just saw the specs of your card, your effective memory is set at 7010 mhz, that would be around 1760 mhz of memory clock for the supercharged 970 gtx. Did you undergo any overclocking by yourself?


    Nope this is factory settings. In Bios I can set my performance to three settings: eco, normal, and performance. it's currently on performance.
  8. the nerd 389 said:
    The only things that I can see that might cause the crash (from a hardware perspective) are the age of the PSU and the fact that you got two separate dual channel kits. The dual channel kits are not verified to work when four modules are used together, and using two separate dual channel kits has been known to cause stability issues.

    That's not very common, mind you, but it does happen. If you can tell which sticks went together, try removing one of the pairs to see if it fixes the problem.


    I'll give that a shot later tonight - I want to play around with a few other things. Thanks for the help!
  9. The issue was the game ready drivers. I was playing the new Mass Effect trial version and the game ready driver wasn't available. it came out came out yesterday and I haven't had a problem. I think this was my issue..... Thanks everyone
Ask a new question

Read More

Crash Computers Graphics Cards Benchmark