Solved

thermal paste might not be needed if washing motherboard and cpu with ice water?

i found one old pc at my house. since it spoiled long ago i just wanted to anyhow make it work. the motherboard was so dusty and the heatsink. so i washed them and let it dry and i put them on without applying thermal paste since i didn't have one. put the cpu and the heatsink and on-ed it. i was shocked when the pc worked. i read everywhr on the internet that no thermal paste it will fry the cpu within seconds. i think that might not be true. the pc wasnt working last time because the psu spoiled i thought it was something else that spoiled. so i used the psu i was using for my current pc. just wanted to test out. the cpu was core 2 duo. was so glad my old pc worked. maybe some of you who have old pc rotting somewhere would like to revive it try this if you want. temp was 45-48 degrees celcius on speccy.
Reply to vicnes105
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thermal paste needed washing motherboard cpu ice water
  1. That will jump very quickly once load is placed on the CPU.

    Thermal paste is require to create a heat-transferring bond between the two plates of metal.
    Reply to Hamperking68
  2. Best answer
    don't run it dry!!! use a miniscule dab of toothpaste if you don't have any thermal compound. Get some mx-4 asap if you value your pc.
    Reply to jwcrellin
  3. This is terrible advice and i doubt your CPU will stay within the temp limits if you put any load on it, just because it can idle without overheating doesn't mean it's ok. Even using toothpaste is better than not having any paste
    Reply to chemmajorp53
  4. i see i see. ill use some toothpaste for now then hope it will survive for 1-2 weeks with the toothpaste. sensitive teeth toothpaste works?only have that and it isn't as creamy as the normal toothpastes. it will be alright if every 2 weeks i replace with toothpaste? the shops where they sell the thermal paste are very far away from whr i live.
    Reply to vicnes105
  5. Nice troll, fell for the bait but i'm out, see you later
    Reply to chemmajorp53
  6. im not lie-ing. the shops are really far. ill be using toothpaste 1st. i swear i washed it i can even show you the temperature.
    Reply to vicnes105
  7. vicnes105 said:
    i see i see. ill use some toothpaste for now then hope it will survive for 1-2 weeks with the toothpaste. sensitive teeth toothpaste works?only have that and it isn't as creamy as the normal toothpastes. it will be alright if every 2 weeks i replace with toothpaste? the shops where they sell the thermal paste are very far away from whr i live.


    Sorry, only Aquafresh toothpaste works. When you get the replacement thermal paste make sure you use a strong dose of bleach to clean off the toothpaste.
    Reply to uguv
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Heatsinks Thermal Compound CPUs Motherboards