1070 SLI or 1080TI for 4k gaming?

IsaiahKos

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
I've recently been getting interested in 4k gaming and wanted to know what I should upgrade my GPU to give better performance.

Right now my specs are as followed:

i7-5820k @ 3.30 GHz
Corsair LPX RAM 32GB @ 2666 MHz in 4x8 GB
ASUS ROG Rampage V EDITION 10 Motherboard
1070 STRIX OC Edition @ 1876 MHz and Memory Clock at 9071 MHz
EVGA G2 SuperNova 750w Gold

I've been doing some research on the 1070 SLI vs a 1080TI, but the only results I'm really coming up with are the 1070 SLI vs the TItan X Pascal. I've used SLI and even Crossfire in the past; just recently I've been hearing a lot about SLI not being supported on some games, the performance gains are minuscule or it actually ends up hurting performance. Right now on my 1070 I've been able to play games such as BF1, NieR and even Fallout 4 without mods, in the 39-52 FPS range on 4k; with dips during extreme moments. I would love to play at a steady 60 FPS or more, which might be asking a little too much at this point. So performance wise for 4k, would the 1070 SLI be better than a 1080TI? I more than likely will be waiting for ASUS or Gigabyte's 1080TI so their speeds might be a little different but based off the current 1080 TI, would it give me a better 4k experience over getting another 1070 for SLI?

Solution
1080 Ti. 1070 in SLI is slightly better or the same performance as a single 1080 Ti.

And yes SLI is not always supported in games. This is especially true when a game is first released, games rarely release optimized, let alone optimized for SLI, and those are AAA titles. Battlefield 1 only recently got good SLI support, when before SLI would perform worse than a single card. And that game had been out for months when it finally got SLI support. So basically you would be playing on a single 1070 at 4k until SLI support came out, or just not play. Single card configurations are superior in many ways except in raw power. Two 1080's will beat out a single 1080 Ti by quite a bit, but if the game is not supported you're stuck with a single...

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
1080 Ti. 1070 in SLI is slightly better or the same performance as a single 1080 Ti.

And yes SLI is not always supported in games. This is especially true when a game is first released, games rarely release optimized, let alone optimized for SLI, and those are AAA titles. Battlefield 1 only recently got good SLI support, when before SLI would perform worse than a single card. And that game had been out for months when it finally got SLI support. So basically you would be playing on a single 1070 at 4k until SLI support came out, or just not play. Single card configurations are superior in many ways except in raw power. Two 1080's will beat out a single 1080 Ti by quite a bit, but if the game is not supported you're stuck with a single 1080/1070. At 4k you may as well not play because you'll either be stuck on low settings or 30fps at medium-high settings.

The biggest benefits of SLI at this point and where it cannot even compare to single card is in software rendering where GPU scaling is very high. In some programs two 1070s will perform twice as well as a single 1070, where in gaming it may give maybe 30% more power. But in that case two 1070s will even heavily outperform a 1080 Ti easily.

Solution
You may win synthetic fps benchmarks with sli GTX1070, but gameplay will be better with a GTX1080ti.
Dual gpu, as you know, has some issues such as stuttering and screen tearing.
Some games do not handle dual gpu well, and some not at all.

GTX1080ti if you can find one.

IsaiahKos

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017

Thanks for the insight! In the bottom message you put, it seems like SLI would be more of a niche for outperforming a 1080TI? The only benchmarks I have been able to look at for even remotely close to a 1070 SLI vs 1080TI, is of course the Titan X Pascal and I know that should be taken with a grain of salt. In those few benchmark videos I watched, both the 1070 and 1080 in SLI beat the Titan XP on most games in 4k, however if they had any frame dips they were massive drops and were fluctuating way too constant, where as the Titan XP when frames would drop, it was a small, smooth drop that would even itself out. I'm waiting right now on the STRIX 1080TI and the AORUS 1080TI so I know those speeds will be different from the 1080 TI out now, but I'm still expecting it be a great 4k single card and if in the future it's needed, possibly adding in SLI for that.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Yes, that's according to Titan X performance and Nvidia claims that the 1080 Ti performs better.

I would wait for benchmarks and specs before you commit to a card. Most companies are DRASTICALLY changing their cooling configuration. Zotac has previously been a fantastic all around card, but they changed their fans from the 1080. The Strix changed its' spreader to something completely different and increased the heatsink thickness making the old 2-slot card, a 2.5slot card. EVGA is coming out with their first 3-fan design as well. MSI seems to be the only one that really hasn't changed anything. So far anyways.

It's going to be interesting to see thermals on these new designs and see if Zotac can keep the crown of the fastest GPU.

I'm getting a GTX 1080 ti probably Friday. I'll let you know how it compares with sli GTX 1070's. I've done benchmarks on the GTX 1070's in sli. They are STRIX cards just like yours by the way. I've also compared them to a GTX 1080 FTW card I have those results now.

GTX 1070 sli
Sleeping Dogs 62avg 34min
Mass Effect Andromeda 31avg 26min
Grand Theft Auto V 72avg 53min
Doom 77avg 51min
Battlefield 1 79avg 68min
Resident Evil 7 85avg 68min
Ark Survival Evolved 88avg 27min
Project CARS 93avg 61min
Rise of The Tomb Raider 57avg 33min

GTX 1080
Sleeping Dogs 41avg 22min
Mass Effect Andromeda 36avg 30min
Grand Theft Auto V 55avg 45min
Doom 72avg 55min
Battlefield 1 57avg 49min
Resident Evil 7 57avg 46min
Ark Survival Evolved 51avg 41min
Project CARS 107avg 84min
Rise of The Tomb Raider 41avg 17min

All games were tested at 4K with the settings either on the Ultra preset or maxed out except for AA on FXAA if the game didn't have presets. None of the cards were overclocked.

GTX 1080 ti
Sleeping Dogs 55avg 31min
Mass Effect Andromeda 45avg 39min
Grand Theft Auto V 75avg 61min
Doom 87avg 64min
Battlefield 1 69avg 54min
Resident Evil 7 72avg 57min
Ark Survival Evolved 67avg 47min
Project CARS 110avg 80min
Rise of The Tomb Raider 50avg 39min

vicki7

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
we r waiting for that comparison pllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.i m in the same boat.
its between GT83VR TITAN SLI-055(1070 sli) and desktop with 1080ti.
help.

Oh Sorry. I thought people stopped following this thread. I'm in the middle of doing the comparison now. I can tell you that they perform similarly. I personally am sticking with the GTX 1080 ti over the GTX 1070's in sli though because when sli doesn't work the GTX 1080 ti wins by a lot. Pretty much all newer DX 12 titles will not work with sli. Most new DX 11 games won't work with sli upon release and may or may not ever get sli support. If you're cool with only one card working for most new releases then go ahead and get the 1070 sli. If you have good clocking 2.1GHz 1070's then they will outperform the Titan Xp in games where sli scales good. Most older games scale good. Only a few newer games scale at all.

vicki7

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
First thanks for ur reply.i really wanna go with that laptop (it looks hot IMO) and samsung c34f791.For sli support and scaling issues, i think i can wait a while for sli support.Nobody likes the kind of mess sli makes sometime,but again i really love that laptop and i travel frequently.One of my friend have dual 1080's and he cries sometimes and i have a single 980ti, no personal experience with sli.

chris1004

Prominent
May 19, 2017
Its quite simple really and there isn't any need to over complicate things. the 1080Ti is the quickest single card configuration currently available so if buying new go for that one so there are no potential SLI issues and you get the option to upgrade into SLI later by getting a second.

However if you already own a 1070 by getting another and connecting in SLI you will achieve comparable performance to a single 1080ti when SLI scales, which to be fair is most of the time for the majority of games once they've been out for a month or two.

Both configurations win out on the FPS scores in differing games but by only a few fps either way unless SLI isn't working for the 1070's. If anything the 1070 SLI config slightly wins out overall when the scaling issues are removed.

For the record I use 2x MSI GTX1070 gaming X in SLI and have since launch last year. Wherever SLI doesn't scale (quite rare on the games I've played) I just use 1080p with insane frame rates, its not exactly a hardship.

Either config is awesome, try to remember that a 1070 is roughly the same as an origanl Titan X that we all craved for just 12 months ago.

The only thing I will add is that the power requirements need to be considered here. A single 1080Ti requires roughly 250W and dual 1070's roughly 280W, it therefore follows that dual 1080Ti's will need 500W if you do want to SLI them in the future. There are obvious cooling issues related to a card burning 250w with just 1 fan keeping it cool as opposed to 280W with 2 fans working over a wider area and double the heat sink capacity (or 2&4 or 3&6 depending on card cooler type). Unless of course its water cooled.

It's widely accepted that the GTX 10 series suffers from thermal throttling when they get hot, it's this that causes a lot of the drastic frame rate dips. For the record my MSI cards are overclocked to 2100mhz and suffer from no thermal throttling at all ever in fact the hottest the top card ever gets under stress testing conditions is 73C (6600k@ 4.6ghz oc, 3200mhz ddr4 and 950 pro M.2 ssd). It'd be interesting to know if the same could be said of a single 1080ti simarlarly overclocked with less cooling capacity, somehow I doubt it. Which I guess is why we're seeing the 2.5 form factor cards and redesigned coolers being utilised by a lot of the nvidia partners and I'd personally want to know how the thermals performed under load before making a purchasing decision.

IMO the minimum FPS is a far more important figure than the maximum FPS which is just a basic measure of raw power. Avoiding those dips which causes stuttering in gameplay is the main aim here. Only a fool would ignore thermal throttling over maximum FPS and so many comparison sites don't even mention minimum figures you'd be forgiven to think that it doesn't matter. I completly ignore all results from any that don't post both as leaving them out renders the results completly meaningless and an incomplete picture. The quality reviewers all state max and min FPS figures and whilst the maximum FPS is the eye candy the minimum FPS is the real picture as to how the game will feel to play.

chris1004

Prominent
May 19, 2017

I'm certain you'll love it and as far as a laptop goes I think its the right choice in my opinion. The reason I say that is because of the cooling issues related to a card burning 250w with just 1 fan keeping it cool as opposed to 280W with 2 fans working over a wider area if indeed thats how its implimented inside that laptop.

TRENDING THREADS