R9 380 4G overclock issue

Uzi786

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017
Please reply quickly as i want to get the most out of my GPU!
Hi everyone. Here's my rig first of all:
AMD Athlon X4 860k at turbo 4.2ghz
2x4Gb Corsair vengeance ram clocked at 1333mhz
250Gb Samsung evo 850 SSD
MSI R9 380 4G gaming edition Twin Frozr factory default clocked at core 980mhz and memory clock at 1425mhz
Gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi motherboard
Corsair cx600m power supply unit.

Now here's my issue, I can run games perfectly at the default clock speeds on my GPU , however if I overclock the core or memory clock speed by just 1mhz and run a game it starts to show weird dark glitchy lines all over the screen and then the game crashes (btw this is just the main menu of a game).

I have increased the voltage slightly but I still get the same issue with overclocking my GPU by just 1 MHz. Then I lowered the core clock speed of my GPU by 1mhz and the issue is still there. I do not know what is causing this problem because I can overclocking my CPU slightly with no issue whatsoever .

Also I remove my pc case while gaming to lower the temps of my components and I regularly clean my pc every few months with compressed air to keep it dust free . Here are the temps of my pc under full load:

CPU averages at about 50°C with fan speed at 82% (I have a noctua cooler attached to my CPU heatsink)

GPU averages at about 45-50°C with fan speed at around 35%

Here are my temps while idling on the Windows desktop:

GPU 25°C

CPU 3°C

So I am not sure what the issue is with my GPU not being able to overclock (or underclock) without crashing on the main menu of a game. Could this be an issue with the power supply or the GPU? I'm not sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I this is my first gaming PC which was built in January 2016 I believe as I purchased this pc.

PS: I use the MSI afterburner tool to overclock my GPU and monitor it's temps

Solution
Hmm, maybe try AMD's Wattman tool to overclock rather than AB (accessed through AMD Crimson settings). I believe it works with R9 300 cards, although I'm not totally sure.